Any doctors around?

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
It was 2 mo ago I was working on my sisters civic, trying to get a stripped egr valve bolt off. I was grasping a pair of channel locks on the bolt with both hands, squeezing with 110% and attempting to twist it off when I heard/felt a crinkling/tear on the back of my left hand left side just barely above where the wrist meets the hand. I immediately stopped applying pressure and slowly let go.

No swelling, but the pain was just enough enough to not use it for any twisting for a couple days, nothing too crazy.

After 2 mo of generally not using it for much of anything(incl opening car doors) it is still sore and it hurts when I use it help me up from a chair or the ground(palms flat) in the same place mentioned above.

If I really don't use it for anything, the soreness seems to go away, but if I use it for say helping myself up, and I get that pain that tell me to stop, the soreness will continue for a bout a week.

My grandpa is a doctor(practiced back in the day) and he told me to take asprin 3 times a day until the soreness is completely gone and buy a wrist/hand splint and keep my hand open.
He said because there was no swelling that it is probably not anything severe, but likely a strain. Which I find unlikely because it's been 2 mo, and I've been reading some haunting things online like: see a doctor immediately you could have a tear and if it doesn't heal it will reoccur and plague you.... I definitely don't want that... is it too late?

Unfortunately I have no med insurance, so I've really been shying away from a visit. I really don't want to unless its absolutely necessary.
But if this is going to be a reoccurring thing I would do anything to get it fixed, I work on cars way too much to have this turned into a reoccurring injury.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I tore a muscle on the top of my wrist once. It hurt like a son of a bitch. Scare tissue healed around the muscle, and when I would move my wrist up and down you could hear it creak like a old door. The medic at work never hear anything like it. They just had me go in before work and warm it up and stretch it out. Then ice it after I get off. Not a big deal, I would listen to your grandfather immobilize it with a brace and take ibuprofen.

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
I tore a muscle in my armpit area after following an upper body workout and there would be an extremely sharp pain upon lifting my upper arm out. I had it in a sling for a week and it healed.

This pain in my wrist is different, it's more dull, pain upon using that follows force or weight actions isn't so repulsive. It's more like gently pushing in on a charlie horse, or bruise. Then ofc if that happens mild constant soreness follows for a week.

We'll see, I'm hoping immobilizing it for a while will heal it up nicely.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
Immobilizing while at work is ok, but you should perform range of motion on it daily (just gentle motion, no actual work).
Take either the aspirin (325mg, 1 pill) 3x daily, or take ibuprofen/advil 3x-4x daily (200mg per pill, 2 pills with each dose)(don't exceed 2400mg in one day.), or you can take aleve, one pill twice a day.

Pick only one of those drugs, don't take any of them with each other.

EDIT: Are any of your friends doctors? If you know any family practice doctors, hit them up for samples. Ask for either celebrex or arthotec. Celebrex is pretty good, arthotec is even better.

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
I've been taking 2 x 200mg ibuprofen 3x started today. Aren't those last 2 drugs arthritis treatment? 0_0

How good are my chances of recovery without recurrent injury/pain?

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
They are used for arthritis, but they are simply more powerful NSAIDs, like ibuprofen, aspirin, etc. Arthrotec is nice in that it won't upset your stomach (unless you are pregnant).

Can't really give you odds, but unless it was a bad tear, it should heal up fine. Just don't use it for any real work, let it heal up for a couple weeks.

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Ok cool, makes sense I was doing some reading. Appreciate the help. I was worried because its been like 2 mo and I wasn't taking it as easy as I am now because I didn't think it was serious.

I'm reconsidering the brace because it honestly feels completely comfortable keeping it hanging loose and not clenching or extending, but in between.

If it doesn't heal in the next couple weeks should I see a doctor? It really seems like each time I accidentally use it sets me back like a week. :/

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
As I haven't been on here that much and I am pretty new to the forum, I was really suprised and shocked at the same time that nobody has pointed out why it happened. So please hold no hate towards me lol. YOU WERE WORKING ON A HONDA. That is bad joojoo all it self. Your gut should have told you that this is not going to be a good day and you should have turned and walked away. lol. But all jokes aside I hope it gets better for you.

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Hah, nothing wrong with Hondas, great on gas, reliable, and cheap parts, was my sis car tho, welcome to the forums, and thanks. :)

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Thanks for the help doc, I bought a truly awesome $25 splint from my local drugstore and it's been keeping me from re-injuring my wrist, in fact the soreness has been completely gone for a week now and I can begin to use it for small things.. like opening doors. ..yet more importantly masturbating. Thanks for saving me the waste of a doctors time and my money.. for something so trivial!

suprarx7nut;1772924 said:
Why not buy health insurance?! $100/month should give you plenty of coverage...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

For a lack of better words, this is why! ..of course replace the age with mine(22) and the # of visits to 2 and.. ignore the shortened title as it really is a link to a real life example: http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/m5956/the_us_healthcare_system_sucks_fucking_balls/

Also I retract my statement for not wanting to visit a doctor because of a lack of insurance, but more importantly lack of money.. and in all honesty, insurance doesn't seem very appealing..

but to each their own!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Only reason I have insurance is for real, genuine emergencies. I've seen what can become of medical billing if something horrible happens to you. Figure the money I spend in a year is better spent hypothetically than literally on medical bills because I didn't have insurance at all...

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Well the way I see is is the total amt of money spent on insurance accumulated over my life is probably going to be SIGNIFICANTLY higher than my medical needs, unless ofc I nearly die in a car fire and need my entire body reconstructed, or contract the plague and acquire more medical conditions than others requiring a good deal of continuous maintenance, basically '7m syndrome' of the body. If something like that happens then I'll purchase insurance, but for the meantime I'd rather take my chances and pay for what needs fixing when it needs fixing when a doctor or hospital visit is imperative than have an insurance company hold my hard earned cash in front of me like a carrot on a stick. That's the way I see it, I'm really not over protective of anything really. I'll roll the dice.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I can see both sides to the discussion for sure. Personally, I'd rather have the insurance and never need it than need and not have.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
The only reason I have health insurance is because I am married, and I work in a hospital. The hospital subsidizes around 60-65% of our health insurance, so for me it is worth it. If it wasn't for that benefit, I would just put more of my check into savings for just in case.
Oh, and those "health savings accounts" are crap unless you have ongoing medical bills. The health savings accounts save money pretax to be spent on medical bills, but every plan I have seen involves forfeiting any unused cash at the end of the year. WACOS.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ and have you ever participated in one?

Omfg...

Bills as shown:
10 week ultrasound
20 week ultrasound
[multiple OB visits]
Delivery
Anesthesia

All submitted w/ receipts over a 40 week period...

Get a letter shortly after delivery, "why did you have a charge for a delivery on XX/XX/XXXX?"

Wtf? You didn't see the writing on the walls 9 months ago? Spent about 3 weeks getting them to pay for it.

Total PITA. Never again.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
flight doc89;1775978 said:
The only reason I have health insurance is because I am married, and I work in a hospital. The hospital subsidizes around 60-65% of our health insurance, so for me it is worth it. If it wasn't for that benefit, I would just put more of my check into savings for just in case.
Oh, and those "health savings accounts" are crap unless you have ongoing medical bills. The health savings accounts save money pretax to be spent on medical bills, but every plan I have seen involves forfeiting any unused cash at the end of the year. WACOS.

Not even catastrophic coverage for extreme injuries? If you have a major reconstructive surgery you wouldn't be worried about a $250,000 medical bill when a $40/month insurance plan would cover the majority of it?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mkiiSupraMan18;1776055 said:
^ and have you ever participated in one?

Omfg...

Bills as shown:
10 week ultrasound
20 week ultrasound
[multiple OB visits]
Delivery
Anesthesia

All submitted w/ receipts over a 40 week period...

Get a letter shortly after delivery, "why did you have a charge for a delivery on XX/XX/XXXX?"

Wtf? You didn't see the writing on the walls 9 months ago? Spent about 3 weeks getting them to pay for it.

Total PITA. Never again.

Sounds almost like almost any accounting department I've ever had to deal with. They can not seem to look at the big picture, only mere lines of text/numbers, buried deep within a document. Never did understand why these things didn't make sense to them. On the plus side, the can be fun to mess with. ;)