Any aviation lovers in the house?

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
So for the past couple of months I've been going through a flight screening program for the Air Force learning how to fly an airplane. Well today I took my last flight which happened to be my area solo and I snuck my camera into the plane and shot some video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD_xqWEDqv0

I've decided to keep going at the flight school I'm at and get my private pilot's license. Anyone else around here working on their PPL... have their PPL or higher or just love flying?

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
jdub;989905 said:
You know I am ;)

:biglaugh: haha yep, you get to go up in the fun ones

A lot of fun flying a plane huh...I thought you had a Nav slot?

Oh yeah! flying is a blast

I do (have the nav slot), but apparently the AF wants all of its NAVs to learn how to fly and they give us 25 free hours. I asked my instructor (he's a retired BUFF pilot) if he knew why they wanted NAVs to fly and he said it was to get us familiar with flight controls to possibly be future UAV pilots. I'm not sure how accurate that is... but all I heard was 25 hours free, haha

jmanbball;989906 said:
One of these days, I'm going to have get a license

It's definitely a good time up there! I can see why people fall in love with flying

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Great deal...I didn't realize they were doing that. Good for you Derk!

Flying a UAV (especially a Predator) would be ok...actually looked at doing it myself running a new USAFR unit they opened up. Flying back seat in a Mud Hen is gonna be a lot more fun though ;)

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Thanks! That would be a sweet deal if you got the gig. If you're still waiting on word from that I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out in your favor!

I wouldn't mind doing UAVs at all, but I really want some time in the air first and being assigned to the mudhen would be beyond awesome

f-15e_05.jpg

:love:

But it's looking like bigger, slower things are in my immediate future. Which I don't mind... as long as I'm up in the sky for a couple of years I'll be more than ok

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Thanks Derk :icon_bigg

That F-15E is loaded for bear with all that CBU!

I actually passed on it...it would have been fun, but I wouldn't have had a lot of (if any) "stick time" doing it...that would have been the younger guys like you (as it should be) ;)
My turn and burn days are pretty much over...the flying I do now involves really large airplanes going to Asia, Australia, and Europe.

If the AF does end up wanting to put you in a big plane, look at the Herc hard. An AC or MC-130 does a lot of really neat stuff. A Buff would be ok, but not as flexible career wise. Plus, the special ops guys have a really good promo rate...100% (both pilot and nav) at the last USAFR O5 board I was on. AD is just as good from what I was told.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Haha, nothing wrong with giving up the turn and burn days to travel between 3 really awesome places... looks like a great tradeoff to me :bigthumb:

You're one of a few people now that've said good things about the Spec Ops world... I may really have to look into it now (especially if that promotion rate holds... holy cow!). I actually had the MC-130 in my top 3 and the AC-130 in my top 5. They may be moving up the list now, hehe. I keep going back and forth on the BUFF... something about being in the belly of the beast with no windows kind of freaks me out though and if it's not really a career booster I may just have to pass on it

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
When you're look at a guys record that has 3-4 DFC's, it's kinda hard not to score him pretty darn high even though the citation or the OPR can't tell you exactly what he did ;)
Spec Ops is really where it's at now...the old perceptions are still around, and that is what you're hearing.

I'm with ya on the "beast"...LOL. Try to avoid tankers too ;)

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Wow. That's awesome Derk. I've always wanted to learn to fly. When I was younger, all I wanted to be was an AF pilot. It never happened. Maybe someday I'll get a license. Keep up the good work.

blake

Apr 25, 2005
Minnesota
Talking about bigger toys than I'll ever fly.

I have 50-odd hours (I'll finish my PPL one of these days) in this Piper Archer tail 4171X. I'll probably never forget that tail number.

Looks like they sold it to someone in New Hampshire. That page is no longer linked from their listings, the FAA data shows it owned in New Hampshire now, and then there's this little oddity.

And while we're traipsing about the internet looking for things related to that plane, the example photo on Airnav's page for Tower, MN <12D> was taken from that plane, by me (hey it was neat to contribute to a reference site before this whole wiki thing started). =)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Wanted to fly more than anything in highschool, went to sign up after acing all my tests took my physical and found out I had a color deficiency. Tried everything short of selling my soul to get in, couldn't do it.

I'd still sign up if they'd ever call me.

I think an ultralight is about all I'd ever fly as a private pilot.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Doward;990035 said:
Wish I could, but the glasses keeps me back from what I understand :( No nearsighted pilots allowed ;)

As long as it's correctable, you should have no problem getting an FAA medical John ;)

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Of course I'm into aviation. Well, I work maintenance (crew chief) on the C-17A for the Air Force. 7 1/2 years now I've been in and I'm an E-5. I actually just got home from working on the beast just now. I'd suggest flying the C-17 if you have the opportunity. That jet is completely amazing with what it can do. One of my favorite features is when they open 2 of the 4 thrust reversers in-flight and do a combat descent. I haven't experienced it yet. But, I heard it is crazy. Not to mention the jet can reverse on the ground with the TR's.

But, congrats though

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
jdub;990410 said:
As long as it's correctable, you should have no problem getting an FAA medical John ;)

Well hell, I may have to look more into this, then!

I fell in love with airplanes about the time I could walk. I still swear I will one day own a P-38J, even if I never fly it.

Once I shed another 35 lbs, I'm seriously thinking of joining the USAF to finish my college, and start a career in there.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
blake;990247 said:
Talking about bigger toys than I'll ever fly.

I have 50-odd hours (I'll finish my PPL one of these days) in this Piper Archer tail 4171X. I'll probably never forget that tail number.

Looks like they sold it to someone in New Hampshire. That page is no longer linked from their listings, the FAA data shows it owned in New Hampshire now, and then there's this little oddity.

And while we're traipsing about the internet looking for things related to that plane, the example photo on Airnav's page for Tower, MN <12D> was taken from that plane, by me (hey it was neat to contribute to a reference site before this whole wiki thing started). =)

I'll get my PPL sometime once i finish school. I don't have any formal training (none that I logged at least), but my old boss is a flight instructor and between flying with him on occasion and going up with my dad I've prolly got 40 hours in Piper Cherokee 5637U (like you, i'll never forget that tail)

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Man, you gents have bought back some old memories. I knew I always wanted to fly from 8 years old. I used to spend hours looking out the window at the airliners flying overhead. An Airline Pilot is what I wanted to be. Money was an issue, so I was going to rely on Military service to meet my goals. My dream was to be an A-10 Warthog driver.

Unfortunately, AFROTC pilot slots were too few and the competition was too stiff for me. Preference was given to candidates in the engineering course of studies and people in my group (non-technical) would have to fend for the 1 or 2 pilot slots left over for about 20 individuals. They were plenty of NAV slots though. My grades would not have been competitive enough in college to compete for those pilot slots.

Just when my plan and dream was going to be completely derailed, a classmate told me about the guaranteed pilot slots with the USMC. In 1983, I did not even know the Marines had their own air wing. I was always highly respectful of their combat arm, but to fly for them would have been the ultimate and most honorable service commitment for me. A switch of career goals took place as I abandoned my airline goals for supporting Marine Infantry.

It is always nice once in awhile to discuss aviation with others who enjoy or enjoyed the same passion.

Semper Fi,

Last edited:

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Wow I didn't know there were so many aviation guys on here... nice!

Doward;990035 said:
Wish I could, but the glasses keeps me back from what I understand :( No nearsighted pilots allowed ;)

I have 20/50 vision (20/20 correctable) and I wear glasses... I passed both the Air Force flight physical (FC1A) and the FAA class III flight physical with no problems. The class III eye test was actually a joke... if you can see you'll basically pass... you'll probably just get a restriction put on you where you have to wear glasses to fly (or at least be wearing them if an FAA inspector ever asks for your papers, heh)