Another no start issue;fuel,timing but no spark?

R3N5LOW

Jan 18, 2009
OREEGON
Im getting everything BUT spark. Hooked up thee ol' timing light and it won't flash due to no spark on the 6th cylinder/spark plug position. I didn't have any problems till recently and whenever i crank it over it makes a pop and then the whole garage smells weird. Cleaned the grounds, checked the wires etc and nothing. What other ground wires do I check? Is there something im missing? Ground wires to ignition, CPS, and coils are in check and the wiring is all there. Really strange I hope I made the problem clear. Any ideas? I just need a third party view

:(

SRZMK3

there is a wire that goes onto your positive terminal its a connection that has 2 white wires coming off of it and going into your fuse box, those go out typically from corrosion, when that wire goes bad the ignitor wont get power. second you should be checking timing on your #1 wire which is the one closest to the timing belt.

R3N5LOW

Jan 18, 2009
OREEGON
SRZMK3 I appreciate the response i'll let you know if that does the trick. (And yes i did use the #1 spark plug not the #6. Got them mixed up)

Last edited:

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
On a GTE 1 and 6 spark at the same time, so you can use either. 6 is easier to get to.

Are you getting spark out of any of the coils?

Did ya try the old "wiggle the CPS wires" trick?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
CPs installed correctly? Sounds like its a tooth off.

Also how old are the plug?

Pull a wire off the plug and ground it or put a plug in it and see if you get spark.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Hey check the connector to the CPS. Its notorious on these supras "Jiggle, move, twist the Wires on the connector" while somebody cranks it. It should start right up.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You can't have fuel injection without spark. Best case scenario is the pump runs when the STA signal is a go. Then it shuts off without the pickup. I think injection is temporary with the STA signal. I am looking for it. I just don't deal with this on a daily basis anymore.

Did you pull a spark plug wire and ground it with a spark plug and jumper wire? If you do it, and there is no spark, there is also no fuel injection. But don't worry about that part, if there isn't spark get it fixed first. The fuel injection may resume. Provided you aren't missing the IGf signal.

R3N5LOW

Jan 18, 2009
OREEGON
Hmm interesting. I cleaned all the grounds and the two terminals coming off the positive feed and still nothing. Just a light pop sound and then it continues to crank over. They're new NGK wires/plugs with less than 3k so I dont think its the wires. Did the little 'wire-wiggle' trick and still nothing. I'll reposition the CPS and respond to this later. I appreciate all the input guys

R3N5LOW

Jan 18, 2009
OREEGON
UPDATE! You guys are callin' it left and right. Re did my timing and i finally got her fired up. It's been so long since i've heard her idle haha So im in the process of getting my CPS perfectly lined up to 10 degrees. It's really close but it might be a tooth off so im going to reposition that bad boy one more time. Having my TPS being off doesn't help with timing either. (Keeps flashing code 41) I have an extra tps laying around that i might throw on there to see if it'll help. I know i can't set the timing with the tps off. Such a pain in the ass ive been going through so many threads about problems with the tps.

SO;

1)Put in new TPS/get rid of code 41
2)re do timing again now that TPS is set

Seem like im on the right track?

R3N5LOW

Jan 18, 2009
OREEGON
Yeah i previously thought i had no spark but obviously i do, thanks for clearing that up. I just checked the timing again and i got the 'off by 180 degrees' I set the crank at 0 degrees and my cam gears were 180 degrees off. Is this from the CPS being off by a tooth? A little confused on this so anything will help. Thanks!