Another Newbie post... great

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
With the engine idling and no code 51, clamp down on the hose leading to the idle speed control valve. Engine should stall. If it does, then your ISCV is likely frozen. You can usually take it apart and free it up. It's a stepper motor driven valve. No other codes are present I assume.

dmchan

Dec 22, 2012
Corpus Christi Tx
3p141592654;1903288 said:
With the engine idling and no code 51, clamp down on the hose leading to the idle speed control valve. Engine should stall. If it does, then your ISCV is likely frozen. You can usually take it apart and free it up. It's a stepper motor driven valve. No other codes are present I assume.

I will try this soon. I'm willing to try anything at this point but I am not thinking it's the culprit because I can hear it 'tick tick tick' when I kill the car. I have metered it out and it test good. Also, I have pulled the plug on it trying to isolate it as the issue and the effect varies based on where the car is idling at the given time.

I am really thinking the TPS is bad from autozone and I'm probably going to take it back to them for another one. Codes were gone the other day, now I'm getting 41 again.

After driving it for a couple of hours today I get the feeling it HAS to be either the TPS sending incorrect info or the ECU interpreting incorrect info. Sometimes it will idle perfectly, sometimes as high as 1900-2k. When it idles perfectly, I almost always kill it going into first because of the hesitation (maybe even misfire) the instant I give it throttle. I've been able to nurse it past the hesitation and roll smoothly into 1st a couple of times but I haven't had many chances since the idle is erratic.
Occasionally the RPM drops so low it dies when I go to neutral from cruising speed. Definitely an EFI problem but dammit I hate intermittent crap like this. Very frustrating stuff.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
In fairness to 3p he tries to help a lot of times when I won't even get involved. That said the problem with this OP is not that he's wrong, just that a lot of what he knows isn't so. He also appears to be missing the obvious.

dmchan

Dec 22, 2012
Corpus Christi Tx
3p141592654;1903518 said:
The only role the TPS plays in the idle control is the IDL signal (closed throttle). Since you already set that your problem is elsewhere.

Good to know, that's what I needed to hear. Onto the ISCV. Thank you.

dmchan

Dec 22, 2012
Corpus Christi Tx
jetjock;1903675 said:
In fairness to 3p he tries to help a lot of times when I won't even get involved. That said the problem with this OP is not that he's wrong, just that a lot of what he knows isn't so. He also appears to be missing the obvious.

Hmm, I was hoping that I wouldn't come off as a helpless chud but apparently I've failed that. I come to places like these seeking the advice of the knowledgable and experienced. I genuinely appreciate the input. I don't mind being wrong. Hell, if I were right I wouldn't be here asking for help.

Your time and words are, at the very least, appreciated if not completely understood. Sorry if I'm a little dense with some of this. *shrug*

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The problem is that you were told things, like a high idle cannot be due to pirate air in an L-type EFI system, but you then go off saying it's not true. So then that person says no point helping if he's not going to be listening....

dmchan

Dec 22, 2012
Corpus Christi Tx
3p141592654;1904280 said:
The problem is that you were told things, like a high idle cannot be due to pirate air in an L-type EFI system, but you then go off saying it's not true. So then that person says no point helping if he's not going to be listening....

I think we are just failing to speak one another's language. I see now what you are referring to. I was asking if my assumptions were correct and you took that as my saying they were fact. Like I said, your input is appreciated.

So, I have a more specific question on this situation. I've rigged the car to idle pretty nicely now once it warms up. It's not done right, just for right now. What I've done is put a hose clamp on the line running from the TB to the IACV and cranked it down to restrict the flow which brings the idle within the proper range. It's a bandaid at best but I think this tells me the IACV, even after cleaning, is the failing component - no?

The car runs pretty damn good right now, with one exception. When I mash on the throttle, especially at idle it still coughs. After really listening to it, I can hear the TB suck air very rapidly when I do this. I think what's happening is the fuel/air mix is way off for just a second because the ecu isn't sending the signal for more fuel quick enough. If that is the case, would this be the TPS? If so, it would be just my luck to have been fighting two issues at once all along.