Another Dumb kid, Another N/A Supra

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
With the prospect of my first ever pay check and the chance of actually getting a project rolling, I guess it’s about time to get myself a project thread.

I sold my 88 N/A Auto early this year and have regretted the decision ever since. I sold it in order to fund a GA70, but the seller ended up ebaying the car and got three times what he had agreed to sell it to me for. Brushed myself off and told myself to get a sensible car, and I did, a 1992 E30 316i Touring which was ideal for me, but I didn’t have the same sort of love for it that I had for the Supra, and the 4cyl 1600cc 4 pot in the Beemer was depressingly slow while not being particularly economical, so, sold that, and got looking for another money pit.

I went to have a look at this car on a whim seeing how it was local, had a nose around, remembered why I love Supras and ended up pulling the trigger on the deal as soon as the lady owner said she’d sell it for £200 – Scrap Value. I thought why the hell not.

Tis a 1990 spec (1991 Registered) N/A Manual. Now from what I can understand, post facelift UK N/As have an extra cat that strangles

Here are the pictures I took Straight after getting it home:

2783747949_4b0271c76d_b.jpg
lazy eyes picture because I'm barry.
2783762137_5f802b6f5f_b.jpg
2783751187_87da5e54f5_b.jpg
2783754465_06100f99b7_b.jpg
2784619508_09ba824367_b.jpg
2783770185_3c4bdaee65_b.jpg

The faded paint was treated to 12 hours of elbow Grease and $60 worth of AutoGlym wax and is looking rather sharp (I shall get some post polished pictures this weekend if I can get a bit of sunlight.)

I also fitted the first modification, a Turbo A Steering Wheel I just happened to have lying around :naughty:.

2805998478_a7b46f365a_b.jpg

What I’m looking to put together is a car that is going to put a smile on my face and make the insanely expensive insurance premiums us young English drivers have to pay seem

Every possible sign is saying that the car is suffering from a BHG, but after burping the coolant system last weekend, I was able to have the car running stationary for 45 minutes without ANY signs of overheating (the needle stayed just under end centre) and I finally got some hot air out of the vents. This is almost certainly denial on my part, but I have to admit the ‘Drive it till she blows’ school of thought is mighty tempting, even though deep down, I know that I am putting off the inevitable.

Plans on the Non mechanical
- Decent Shocks and Springs. I very much intend on using this car for a bit of road racing. Nothing competitive, but a couple of trackdays here and there (including the Nurburgring next summer if all goes to plam), and I don’t think cheap Coilovers will cut the mustard.
- Sort the sound system out. I know A very teenager thing to do, but the standard supra sound system (alliteration FTW) is nothing short of awful. Nothing ground breaking, a set of 6.5s in the doors, something to provide a bit of fill in the rear and a decent headunit to hook it up to. I also have a 10” sub + box to go in, but which the awkward arrangement and limited trunk space, I’m having second thoughts.
- An alarm. I cannot believe that it didn’t come with one from the factory!
- A decent set of wheels, preferably a set of bronze Super Advans :love:
- New Exhaust (partly down to style reasons (I want a RS*R like angled jobbie), partly down to noise reasons (I'd like a slightly deeper sound) and a lot down to the lost 15hp I mentioned above). A simple 3inch all the way back system is looking like a real possibility.

And for those who might be wondering, Boost will not be playing a part in this project for a long time. I work for Bentley and have to go through the torture of riding in continentals that make 550 odd boosted horsepower and it is damn tempting to down the route of a, but one step at a time.

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling.

Wish me luck people, I'm going to need it.

Josh

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
You like the rear?! Never been much of a fan myself, it just looks wrong compared to a set of 89+ JDM or USDM tails. Not too sure what I'm going to do back there. How do you think a whaletail + Euro rear would look? It would certainly be different.

The quote is from one of his books 'Born to be Riled', a collection of some of the articles he's done for newspapers, magazines, etc. There are quite a few references to Supras in his old writing, although they mostly refer to the fact they were at the time driven by drug dealers (with gold chains) and soccer players :D.