Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 3rd Gen Cavalier

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Ok, so my original plan was to try and get either an NA MKIV or an FD, but I decided that I'm just gonna get an econo-car as a DD for now and then buy a performance car brand new in a few years. I'm gonna be training (military) for about the next 2 and a half years and during that time I really won't have anything to pay for in regards to food and housing, so I'm gonna pay off the student loans I have and build up the new car fund (which should be pretty nice when time comes to buy a new car :) ).

So here's what I was thinking. I basically just want a car that can get me from point A to point B an that doesn't burn a whole lot of gas and a car that looks somewhat decent. I also want to be able to mod it a little because 3 years is a long time to go without playing around with cars. At the top of my list right now is either a 5th Gen Prelude, 3rd Gen Cavalier or a 6th Gen Civic hatch.

Which whould ya'll go for?

These are the style I'd go if I got the car:

Prelude:
Just a simple lip kit (front and rear) and side skits to keep the flow of the lip going, some rims (not sure what kind) and maybe an engine swap down the line

6h922.jpg

EK hatch:
Simple lip kit and side skirt like above, probably fix up the interior with some of the Type R stuff, swap out the headlights and front bumper for the J-spec ones (they look better), maybe engine swap down the line

Basically like this, minus the color, the rims, the "tyep R" on the side, the fog lights and the wing

typer.JPG

Cavalier:

Build it up to be like a Toyota Cav. Lip kit and side skirts, J-spec fog lights, side marker lamps, headlights and rear tailights. Something along the lines of these:

p706850_1.jpg

p706850_2.jpg

fav3pt5.jpg

p706850_3.jpg

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
Not a huge fan of ay of these, personally..... But I think the Prelude is probably the best of the three, just my opinion.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
BlackMKIII said:
Get an older Celica or another MKIII as a DD. Then, no matter what happens, don't touch it.

That's my .02c

No way. I love MKIII's but there are very few around in the kind of condition that any car I buy from now on will be in. I need a car that's reliable and reliable and MKIII hardly ever belong in the same sentence, hah. I would love to keep mine as I've put so much money into, but it's always something new breaking on it and I don't have the will to keep pouring money into it or any other Soup (unless it was one in the condition of say MattJK's old one)

And I'm not a fan of Celicas at all.

Not a huge fan of Hondas or Jbodies, but I've owned both of them before (2 hondas - integra and accord and 1 pontiac - sunfire) and all three of those cars were/are (still driving the accord, but the shell is so beat up haha) reliable as HELL.

Plus I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on this next car... it just has to keep going for a few years and I want it to be a little fun. The car AFTER this next car will be a top trim performance car, so I can put having a balls to the wall powerful car on hold for a bit.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
get a cheap car. a lude or civic will not be cheap unless its toasted. resale value is too high. dont add any money into the car. no reason to fix it up really.

the cavis arent terrible but they arent great either. long as you dont rag on it too hard and keep the maintaince schedule you should be ok for a few year. probibly the cheaper option.

best option, get an NA MK3, they run forever

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
A Prelude for sure.

If i had the choice, To be honest, I would buy a Lexus LS400 or any early 90's Lexus. When I sell my supra next yearish I will most likely be picking up an LS400 among other things

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
MKIIINA said:
best option, get an NA MK3, they run forever

I have an NA MK3 and she would beg to differ with that statement, haha.

The engine, for the most part is in great shape, it's the rest of the car slowly falling apart and draining my bank account at an exponential rate that is killing me.

And Central Florida = one giant used car lot, so it makes for good deals. I've gone and looked at all three of these cars and I've found one of each in a condition that meets my standard for a good price. I just don't know which I'd want to buy.

Big Wang Bandit said:
A Prelude for sure.

If i had the choice, To be honest, I would buy a Lexus LS400 or any early 90's Lexus. When I sell my supra next yearish I will most likely be picking up an LS400 among other things

SC300 is the only one I'd consider, but finding them in manuals is next to impossible and I'm staying away from late 80's early 90's cars until I have a good amount of money to fix everything wrong with the car properly. So one between like 1997-2000 would be the only one considered.

I'm actually gonna look at one in Daytona this coming week, but for now, the FWD econo-cars are winning, heh.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Haha you want that V8 power huh? Yeah, they're definitely a good bang for your buck... it's just a little too much car for me. And you're thinking about selling the gay blue car??

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
I'd get a cavalier cause I like the style you'd be going with it. Plus they aer no dog if you run a little boost through the ecotec.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
swaq said:
Um, Subaru! :icon_razz

Thought about a WRX, but can't find one under $10k that hasn't had the wiring hacked up or that doesn't have a jacked up engine or that's in that good of shape so that's a no go.

If I could find a 2.5 RS then maybe, hehe.

Gettin ready to go look at some more cars today. SC300 is the first one and hopefully it's a good candidate.

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
I was in the same place a few days ago trying to decide on a lude or a civic hatch. I would not go for the prelude I spoke with a good freind of mine that owns a buisness that works on hondas mainly and he tells me that the 5th gen prelude has issues down the road that he is tired of working on. He tells me the 5th gen (EG) hatch or same year civic is a very reliable and cheap option. He recomends a b18 swap that will keep it easy and reliable. I trust this persons opinion seeing that he has a 792WHP civic (5th gen) and it is reliable.

My $0.02

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
get a civic. their a dime a dozen and parts are everywhere.. you can clip a curb and have it street worthy in 30 min given theres a pick and pull nearby. just about all civics unless truly beat the hell out of will get you over 30mpg. I think the cx or something like that got the best fuel economy rating. if it was me tho I'd dig for a decent running crx hf... now those are good gas savers. just hard to come by these days... shit typed too much, later.