Another 1jz wont start thread...

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
Ok, Well I'm trying to get my car ready for silv 08 but it doesnt have any spark. I have a 1jz auto motor from a soarer. It cranks real stong but no spark = no start. I know i'm getting fuel I can smell it and I can hear the fuel pump coming on. I've checked the crank sensor and even replaced it with a new one. Ive check both cam sensors. I have two ignitors, One I bought new from driftmotion. Brand new 6097's. The only codes i'm throwing are 21,24,47. I've also check the coil packs for cracks and fixed those. I checked the voltage on the coil pack wires and the are getting strong voltage.I redid the timing belt just to make sure that the timing wasn't off. I dont know what to do next. Any thing else I should check? The only thing I have not checked is the ecu. The engine light come on though and I opened it up aswell and didn't see any leaking caps looks brand new in there. Anyways thanks for the help in advance.:icon_bigg

Edit: I dont hear my injectors pulsing either so it might be something else other then just no spark.
Checked the voltage on the injectors aswell(with the key turned to the on position) and they are getting 12v to both terminals on the injector plugs. What do you guys think? I'm thinking I should try another ecu? thanks for the help.

Last edited:

zokustyle

Feb 11, 2008
Blaine, WA
when you say you smell fuel, is that just like, around the car?
Or is that when you open up the throttle body and smell the intake?

I'm in the same boat as you. Mine cranks but I have no power to the injectors and coil packs. I fixed this last night and am going to try again today.

I'd say check the voltage on your injectors. If your coilpacks are getting voltage you're most likely getting spark.

Let me know what you come up with! your solution could very well be my solution, too.

bluemkiii

Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
zokustyle;1108488 said:
when you say you smell fuel, is that just like, around the car?
Or is that when you open up the throttle body and smell the intake?

I'm in the same boat as you. Mine cranks but I have no power to the injectors and coil packs. I fixed this last night and am going to try again today.

I'd say check the voltage on your injectors. If your coilpacks are getting voltage you're most likely getting spark.

Let me know what you come up with! your solution could very well be my solution, too.

Well I can smell fuel from the engine bay. Its a pretty stong smell too. I guess it wouldnt hurt to check the voltage on the injectors. As for getting spark I'm pretty sure I'm not because those are new spark plugs and I took them off and they show no signs of sparking they are still new like if they came out of the box. Let me know how your problem works out too.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
check the ecu pinout and make sure you are getting 12v to your IG signals. I think they are pin 12 I would have to check to make sure again.

bluemkiii

Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
Syris;1108796 said:
check the ecu pinout and make sure you are getting 12v to your IG signals. I think they are pin 12 I would have to check to make sure again.

Do you mean my igt signals? or the igsw? here is a pic, if you can point out which ones should have 12v I would apprecitate it, thanks for your help.
p1108931_1.jpg

zokustyle

Feb 11, 2008
Blaine, WA
Sorry to jack your thread man, but I wired up my coils and injectors correctly and still got nothing.

Then I came to find out that my ECU was getting no power. So I gave it the battery and switched source powers it needs, and I still have nothing. I haven't checked for sure, but I think I have spark. The coils themselves have power so I don't see why not. I just don't think my injectors are working.. What can I do to test the injectors?

I have a feeling our solutions may be the same, or at least point eachother in the right direction.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
If you have fuel & your coil packs & have 12vdc then pull out one of your coils with a test spark plug connected to the coil & the coil still hooked up see that you visually have spark if you have no spark its two reasons no timming even from crank or cam sensor or your ignitor module between your ecu & coil pack is bad let us know from their but at least you know you have hot juice going to your ignition system.

You can goto radio shack and buy a "Logic Probe" and connect it to the +12vdc & ground probe the ECU ground signal it should be flashing blinking as your engine turns over showing you get a logic low flashing that verifys your ecu signal

one other side note if you dont get a proper TPS signal saying the throttle body on some EFI cars is ready then you might get fuel for a little while but your car stops applying fuel and spark after time? also do you hear your stepper motor open your IAC telling you that your ecu knows its ready to start the car?

If all the electronics check out is compression good ?

bluemkiii

Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1109987 said:
If you have fuel & your coil packs & have 12vdc then pull out one of your coils with a test spark plug connected to the coil & the coil still hooked up see that you visually have spark if you have no spark its two reasons no timming even from crank or cam sensor or your ignitor module between your ecu & coil pack is bad let us know from their but at least you know you have hot juice going to your ignition system.

You can goto radio shack and buy a "Logic Probe" and connect it to the +12vdc & ground probe the ECU ground signal it should be flashing blinking as your engine turns over showing you get a logic low flashing that verifys your ecu signal

one other side note if you dont get a proper TPS signal saying the throttle body on some EFI cars is ready then you might get fuel for a little while but your car stops applying fuel and spark after time? also do you hear your stepper motor open your IAC telling you that your ecu knows its ready to start the car?

If all the electronics check out is compression good ?

Thanks for your help, I'll post the results after i run those tests.

bluemkiii

Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
Well I checked the b+ terminal and I'm not getting any voltage, Where do I start trouble shooting?, thanks for the help guys.

zokustyle

Feb 11, 2008
Blaine, WA
bluemkiii;1111260 said:
Well I checked the b+ terminal and I'm not getting any voltage, Where do I start trouble shooting?, thanks for the help guys.

splice something with 12V from the dash into that, +B1, and BATT, for testing.
see where that gets you, that's what I had to do.

bluemkiii

Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
Well I spliced the 12v to the b+ wires and nothing. Its wierd because when I test for voltage at the ecu plug(obviously with it disconnected from the ecu) with the key turned to the on position I get no voltage but when I plug it in to the ecu and I check the voltage at the diagnostic box on the B+ port it has voltage and its the same curcuit right? well I guess I'll have to try that probe thing empire mentioned.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
I was not being sarcastic, Yes engine fires are not one to messed around with but jumping a wire with 12v will be fine. In no way did I say you should leave it jumped and you wont have any problems, but for testing it will be fine.