An alternative to an r154?

Cp2295

Aug 8, 2016
Camas wa
Hey everyone ive got a w58 in my mk3 that i swapped a 1j into last summer. Only got about 1000 miles on the setup and the w58 is already going out-granted its got 250k miles on it and im sure they werent easy miles.

Anyways i was looking all over and found numerous threads where people used bmw getrag 5 speeds in their sc300s with a 1jz. They are much cheaper than an r154, hold the power fine, and shift smoother.

Also read that the jeep ax15 shares the same bellhousing to trans bolt pattern as an r154 and those can be had for cheap too.

Just curious if anyone has ever had experience putting a tranny other than an r154 into a supra.. And dont even say a v160 lol. My main concern is not mating it to the 1j but getting the right clutch/flywheel/slave setup, and making sure the shifter is in the right spot-or close enough to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Either the Cd009 or you can look into the AR5 transmission that was used in GM vehicles such as the Saturn SKY or Pontiac Solstice. The AR5 is pretty much the same as a r154 with some small changes done.

Cp2295

Aug 8, 2016
Camas wa
So after alot if reading i see that the cd009 is cheap but adapting it to fit is not! And as far as the ar5 goes how does it hold power? Ill have to look into it thanks for the options guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
To be honest I do not recall the maximum whp i have seen on a AR5 transmission. If you do go with the CD009, make sure you get the later version as it was revised to be more reliable with upgrades such as the "triple cone synchronizer" in certain gears. You will see that the earlier versions of that transmission are a bit cheaper in price as they use "double cone synchronizer" for certain gears.