Alternator????

turbocrazy

May 10, 2014
crossville tn
Ok I've put on 3 alternators so face and can't get any charge out of them the stock one Finaly died and the car drove fine before it died now I can't seem to get them to work what am I doing wrong

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Um, sounds like there may be a problem with the alternator circuit then, not the alternator.
Have you checked the fuses in the engine bay fusebox?

turbocrazy

May 10, 2014
crossville tn
Well I tested the alternator I had and it failed so I got one from autozone and it worked but wouldent charge in the car the fuse in the engine bay is good and has continuity

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Try getting a better alternator. The cheap alternators from auto parts stores are complete junk. Same with the starters.

You can check the output at the alternator as well.

rdaigle44

Mar 6, 2014
Tinley Park, IL
Do you have a voltmeter of your own? If not buy one you, you can test all these components plus every electrical part on your car and diagnose the problem yourself. If you don't, for the time being you can feel the cables by hand. Put your fingers on the battery cables (NOT THE TERMINALS OR CABLE ENDS), one at a time, and the one going to the alternator. If they are really hot when the car is running, then there is high resistance somewhere. Could be a cable end or the wiring itself. It's ok if you don't have a voltmeter, maybe you're not comfortable using one, that's ok. But my recommendation is to buy one, these cars are 25+years old and are going to have electrical issues....PERIOD. But with websites like this one and the TSRM, it will make things a lot easier.

turbocrazy

May 10, 2014
crossville tn
Ya I have a bolt meter I tested the output on the first alternator I got and it wouldent put out any juice so I got the other part number for
My car and recharged the battery and it seems to be working now I just didn't understand why there were 2 different part numbers for the same car the one I have on the car now that seems to be working has some sort of reg. wired to the post and the first alternator didn't