Already replaced turbo and its still smoking!

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
A couple weeks ago, I started my car up and it had a very rough idle and there was some smoke (white/blue) coming out of my exhaust. I never had a problem with exhaust smoke so I knew something was wrong. I popped the hood and noticed that the turbo was also smoking at the point where the turbine housing connects to the exhaust and downpipe. I thought maybe the seals were done, so I replaced the turbo nd it is now smoking more and the same amount of smoke is coming from the exhaust. Does anyone know what this could be from? I know it could be bhg, warped head, or something like that but I havent bought a leakdown tester yet and Im hoping that its something related to the turbo. Thanks

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
vpr131;1860730 said:
A couple weeks ago, I started my car up and it had a very rough idle and there was some smoke (white/blue) coming out of my exhaust. I never had a problem with exhaust smoke so I knew something was wrong. I popped the hood and noticed that the turbo was also smoking at the point where the turbine housing connects to the exhaust and downpipe. I thought maybe the seals were done, so I replaced the turbo nd it is now smoking more and the same amount of smoke is coming from the exhaust. Does anyone know what this could be from? I know it could be bhg, warped head, or something like that but I havent bought a leakdown tester yet and Im hoping that its something related to the turbo. Thanks
Blue smoke? sounds like your burning oil. Could be a number of things Valve stem seals, piston rings, scored cylinder walls

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
After I replaced my turbo, mine smoked for a little bit. It was mostly residual oil left in the exhaust and intake. It stopped after a few weeks. FYI: Synthetic oil smells god awful when it burns.

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
I havent left it on long enough for it to get completely warmed up, maybe 5-10 minutes. Ill see if it does when it gets warmed up. Would there be a reason for it to go away when its warmed up?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I cant figgure out how to link a thread on my phone but i have a thread titled confusing overheating issue on page 8 i figgured out y my car was smoking i burned a hole through my piston... when you took the turbo off was there oil in the exhaust manifold?

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
its th stock turbo i previously had on before I upgraded to a bigger c26. it was in good running condition before i took it off, a little shaft play but not much at all. And like the other thread, my IC piping had a LOT of oil in it. Not milky or anything, but a lot in the turbo and a lot around the 3000 pipe and connecting IC pipes. Right before I took the turbo off, the BOV was shooting out a lot of oil which made me think the seals were going out.

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Im not sure if there was oil, but it definitely smells like oil and theres oil residue at the end of my exhaust. Ive also been having an overheating issue that is very confusing. Only overheats on the highway but thats a topic for another day..

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
vpr131;1860886 said:
Im not sure if there was oil, but it definitely smells like oil and theres oil residue at the end of my exhaust. Ive also been having an overheating issue that is very confusing. Only overheats on the highway but thats a topic for another day..

Read my confusing overheating thread... might give you some ideas
I was blowing soo much oil out the pcv system i had about 1.5-2 qts of oil in my intercooler

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
im gonna check my intercooler, Im willing to bet there is some oil in there... And its funny because i had a lot of the symptoms as you. I started overheating right after I installed the bigger turbo so i changed my electrical fans to the stock one and its still overheating. And now, im having smoke from the exhaust and the turbo which I feel like was a result of the overheating. Im really hoping i didnt damage any internals or blew the hg

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
The shop that honed my cylenders said it looked like i blew my hg between cylinders 1&2 causing preignition in cyl 1... "toasting it" the hole in my piston caused over pressuring of the crank case filling my intake with oil not sure if the hg was completely to blame or not but...