alignment problems

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
Yes, I have read the other alignment threads, and I didn't find anything that answered my question.

So to keep this short and simple, I will just tell the just of things...

I drove around on my tein coilovers with the front end pretty low, and drove like that for a while. The alignment was fine, drove straight. Only problem was rubbing the bottom of my front bumper on hills, even when trying to prevent it. So we lifted the front some, went and got it aligned, everything was good and drove straight. The only problem this time was that the front was to high, and gave the car a weird stance.

This is where things weren't so good... We lowered my car back down about halfway, so now it sits in between it's lowered state and the lifted state. Go to get it aligned, and then pick it up. After we picked the car up it pulled to the right while driving, pretty noticeably. So we took it back, and after we picked it up this time, the car did the same thing, pulled to the right. We went back and talked to them, and they said that the caster is maxed out, they don't have anymore adjustment on it.

I guess I need to find some parts with more adjustment? Just trying to figure out how to handle this problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
It sounds like you just need to take it back. But first make sure the heights are the same on both sides. And then when you take it back get them to set the caster even. If the adjustments are maxed out, then they should be able to bring them down. And they should be able to make them even.

So if you get them to do that, and everything else is aligned properly, you shouldn't have any problems.

But do you, by any chance, have the alignment specs from the 3 times you got the car aligned? If so, that would really help, just in case the caster isn't the only issue.

Tim

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
No I don't have anything from the last times I went, but I wish I did. They even walked us in the shop and showed us (as he pointed) where he said that there wasn't any room for adjustment. He was saying that the trailing arms were maxed out? idk if that makes sense, because I really don't know, just going off of what he said. I asked if maybe they drove on there and put the wheel straight, because that would make the tires turn because my wheel is off just a little. But he said that shouldn't matter, they can adjust that out, but no room for the caster.

He made it clear though, that the last time I drove out of there was the best it was going to get unless I changed something. I remember him showing me the screen though (it was just last week), the red margins had a value of 8 something in there?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I would really just get it aligned again or deal with it. If they'll do it again for free, then do that. But just get them to make the caster even side to side. It doesn't seem like you gave them a target value for caster, so I don't know why they couldn't make them the same. If the adjuster bolts were seized then it could be an issue, but it seems like it was alright before.

And either you need to, or pay them to, make sure your steering wheel is centered with the rack. This means that with the steering wheel centered, you have even travel to the left and to the right. If not, it can create some weird moments about the steering axis due to different tie rod lengths.

Tim