Alarm fobs

veedubin

Official SM Decals
I am the proud(and broke) owner of a dead MKIII yea for me. anyways, i'm rebuilding her to an OEM+ look. It's an 87t 5sp hardtop. Factory alam functions...too well. I did the ground wire mod to disable it, but the more i think of it the more i want it functioning. I know it's not a great alarm by anymeans but i think it would be cool to have a 20yr old car with functioning factory alarm. So my question is... were can i buy the OEM toyota alarm remote.

reklund5

Nov 3, 2007
Henderson, NV
There was no remote fob for the alarm in the 87. You lock the door from the inside and hold the handle "up" while closing the door to arm it. OR you can lock the door from the lock cylinder on the outside to arm/disarm, provided the microswitches are still in place and working.

Ryan

veedubin

Official SM Decals
reklund5;925178 said:
There was no remote fob for the alarm in the 87. You lock the door from the inside and hold the handle "up" while closing the door to arm it. OR you can lock the door from the lock cylinder on the outside to arm/disarm, provided the microswitches are still in place and working.

Ryan

huh.. I had thought there was a fob to it... woops so yea, I wonder how hard it would be to transfer a newer yota alarm assy to my 87

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I was doing this back in 99ish. Had the wiring schematics for the VIP system and my 89. Had the system narrowed down to 3 wires left to figure out. PITA.

You're better off getting an aftermarket alarm - and you'll get more options that way too.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
KeithH;926559 said:
I was doing this back in 99ish. Had the wiring schematics for the VIP system and my 89. Had the system narrowed down to 3 wires left to figure out. PITA.

You're better off getting an aftermarket alarm - and you'll get more options that way too.

IMO aftermkts are cheesy, i've already "stolen" a few cars with aftermkt alarms w/o them going off. I know the factory new yota alarms are know beeter, but I want a toyota fob... yea say it, it's a stupid reason to do it. I don't care, to each his own right?:biglaugh:

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
hey how can I tell if my car has a factory alarm? It's also an 87 turbo 5 speed hardtop so it's possible for it to have the alarm. Whats a sure way of telling if I have one even if its not working at the moment?

I'm not hijacking your thread man I'm asking you loll. Just thought I should tell you that before you got mad.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
On your dash cluster there should be a red LED that says alarm or something similar.

Alarms are just a deterrent and will not prevent your car from being stolen. If they want it badly enough they will get it no matter what security you have - short of armed guards with automatic weapons.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Oh I don't think I've seen that on my dash lol and I know if a thief is good at what they do they'll get the car no matter what but I think its good to have just to keep the amateurs away:D. I'm thinking of an aftermarket alarm though. Anyone have any idea how much those cost with installation? I'm talking ballpark price.

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
Aside from the security system every Supra had, Toyota came out with the TDSE (Theft Deterrent System Enhancement) in 1991 and was an option on 91 and 92 Supras. It seems to be really rare as I have only seen where one person had it installed on their 88.

Anyways, it had the remote transmitters and some other features. Here is a link to a Web site of someone with a 89 Supra who has the TDSE. It has the part numbers listed for it, so that should help, although I would imagine it being very hard to find (and probably would cost more than a newer, improved aftermarket one). He also mentions you have to make a minor modification on pre 91s because the harness changed in 91.

It is the first thing listed under Miscellaneous upgrades and lists some of the other features: http://cjsupra.kendra.com/89supra.html

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
You're not going to find any more new TDSE's using that PN... or any other PN for that matter.

When I was working on retro-fitting the VIP system to work with my 89 (and had it narrowed down to just a couple of wires), I emailed fujitsu-ten to see if anyone would be willing to help me out.

I was shocked to actually get a response back from them but even more floored when I read the email.

They had about a dozen full TDSE kits sitting in their dead parts bin. The reason most dealers couldn't find them was because they changed the part number. They gave me the new part number and I made a few phone calls. Jeff Watson immediately ordered every last kit - he had a waiting list for these things. I got mine from that batch and then we posted up on the Supras.com mailing list (before any of the forums were even around) and the remaining kits were sold in less than a week.

You're best bet is to scour ebay etc for used ones.

IF I ever decide to sell my Supra I'll be taking the TDSE out and putting it up for sale sep. But since I don't ever see that happening... :)

The TDSE adds remote keyless entry and a glassbreak sensor. It also has a switch to turn off the horn during arming/disarming.

Keith