Air Filters - Compared

Techno Supra

Hardcore DJ
I haven't found a definitive thread here on CAI Filters so I thought I'd start one up. If you're going to post up info about an air filter please provide as many facts/links/test data as necessary that demonstrates the quality and capabilities of the filter. Hopefully this isn't a repost.

I currently use the HKS Super Mega Flow, but am thinking of switching so I'm trying to figure out what is the best overall filter. Gurus feel free to chime in.

I will start with the AEM Filter since that's what I may switch to.

AEM Dryflow Air Filter Filter Info/Flow Calculator

AEM’s DRYFLOW Synthetic filter eliminates the hassle of re-oiling after cleaning and has better filtration and dust trapping capabilities than any other performance aftermarket filter. Our unique non-woven polyester element filters out 98.6% of airborne dust in initial efficiency (99.4% cumulative efficiency) in independent FINE DUST testing, and filters dirt as small as ONE MICRON of particulate! For comparison, a human hair is about 100 microns thick. This improved efficiency translates into longer engine life by keeping more ring- and seal-eating dirt out of your engine, with no degradation in engine power compared to oiled air filters.

-Element is cleanable and is guaranteed for the life of your vehicle
-DRYFLOW air filter will NOT void your vehicle’s warranty
-Delivers 99.4% cumulative filtration efficiency, based on independent SAE J726 JUN93 FINE DUST Air Cleaner Test Code procedures
-AEM’s unique non-woven filter media never needs oil, meaning less down time between cleanings and no more chance of over-oiling. It takes the guesswork out of servicing your air filter
-Filter element is virtually impossible to collapse and is more durable than cotton gauze
-A neutral gray filter color complements our mirror-polished and powdercoat finishes, and hides the dirt that it keeps out of your engine
-CLICK HERE to view the results of our DRYFLOW's Filter Efficiency Test w/fine dust between a new and cleaned filter.
-CLICK HERE to view the results of our DRYFLOW's Filter Efficiency Test w/coarse dust.
-CLICK HERE to view the results of our competitors' filter efficiency.

K&N Air Filter Testing Info

K&N Air Filters are designed to provide superior filtration of the contaminants that can harm your engine while maximizing the airflow characteristics. An air filter’s efficiency rating describes the ability of an air filter to protect your engine. This efficiency rating is generally measured using testing procedure ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 5011 with coarse test dust. K&N performs this efficiency testing on a sample of our filter designs both in-house and through independent laboratories using coarse test dust. Coarse test dust includes particles ranging in size from less than 5.5 microns to 176 microns. As a point of reference, a human hair is approximately 50 microns in diameter. The efficiency number represents the percentage of test dust retained by the filter and thereby kept out of an engine.
K&N’s goal is to design air filters that achieve maximum airflow while targeting overall filtration efficiency at 98%. K&N’s efficiency testing helps ensure that your vehicle’s engine gets the protection it needs while maximizing airflow.

I haven't been able to find much test data for HKS, Injen, and a couple others yet...I'll keep searching.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
you know those autozone cone filters for like $20.. well I had one on my accord for a while, mainly for the sound... well just for the sound. and it held up nice filtration wise. not the best in the world but kept it decent. damn thing was way clogged with shit when I finally went to clean it to modify it to my supra.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
so you modified an old dirty $20 filter to bolt up to your supra when you could have got a nice fresh clean one for $20?

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
not saying I kept it, more like my test subject. I bought a filter plate for a na then modded to fit the afm. I had the old filter laying around so I used it for test fit purposes only.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Mk3runner said:
not saying I kept it, more like my test subject. I bought a filter plate for a na then modded to fit the afm. I had the old filter laying around so I used it for test fit purposes only.

I did that exact thing myself, I used a big ass SS filter too. Don't use one people, they let too much shit get by and into your AFM and turbo. I'm thinking that's what caused my impeller fins on the turbo to be chipped and bent...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
where's that link to the air fiter test when yah need it...

I've read a lot of comparo's on magazines, and time and time again the HKS falls short (in some cases actually producing LESS power than stock!), and the ARC boxes always fair the best...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
nah, SC got the one I was trying to find...

K&N's are pretty good from my past experiences (saved my engine once as they won't let water through...no, not in the supra), but they like to shrink and cleaning them sucks.

I'll be going Apex'i as they're cheap but do their job well. I'd run an ARC box if I could find one for the 7M....

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Well, you're ignoring the data. My experience based on oil analysis and erosion of the leading edge of compressor blades jives with the study. K&Ns are terrible but if you value power over engine life it's your call. My priority is the opposite.

Besides, the air filter is almost never the limiting factor in how well an engine breathes. The induction system is and even then only at WOT. At anything less you have a restriction in the intake tract much worse than any filter. It's called a throttle plate. As long as the induction system is big enough a paper filter, even one like the AC Delco, will flow all the air most street engines will ever need. That's easily proved by measuring the pressure drop across it.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Here's Another site that supports the K&N is crap knowledge, Wix all the way for me. After using a K&N for a very short time in my 318 dodge van I found fine dust had collected all around the inside of the filter anywhere it was wet. Something in 140K's I had never seen, I only had it in there a few thousand miles before I checked it to see how it was doing saw that fine dust, and went right back to Wix, ya I learn hard way too many times LOL

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
K&N wasn't on the supra, and won't touch mine, it was an old carbed toyota 4x4

Usually the stock airbox on the Supra is the limiting factor on induction. On newer model vehicles, the airboxes have gotten a lot better designed, so something like an ARC box works as well, if not better than the stock airbox.

I have the stock airbox on my car, but will be going Apex'i just because the stock airbox is such a POS to change the filter or remove (never seena vehicle this hard to replace a simple air filter on...)