AIM SPORTS MXL question

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Hey guys, i can pick up a AIM SPORTS MXL pro for real cheap.

Can i somehow wire this into the stock ECU? Or is this ONLY for aftermarket ECU's? (motec, AEM ect)

Thanks! Ive gotten pretty electronically advanced, would it be possible to make my own harness?

Thanks!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
with aftermarket CPU, yes. It takes both CAN communication (EFI Technologies, MoTeC) and Serial communication (AEM, Haltech etc).

It will not pull data from OEM EMS as the OEM does not use either. Making you own harness is harder than you actually think :)

The crimping (if it uses an autosport connector) requires a DMC AF8 + THA1 barrel. Then you need the heat shrink and molded boots.

In the end, without a standalone, you would have to wire parallel sensors for the AiM.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
figgie;962284 said:
with aftermarket CPU, yes. It takes both CAN communication (EFI Technologies, MoTeC) and Serial communication (AEM, Haltech etc).

It will not pull data from OEM EMS as the OEM does not use either. Making you own harness is harder than you actually think :)

The crimping (if it uses an autosport connector) requires a DMC AF8 + THA1 barrel. Then you need the heat shrink and molded boots.

In the end, without a standalone, you would have to wire parallel sensors for the AiM.

So it is doable? SO i could "crimp" the connectors? Will it hinder the MXL's capabilities?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
s383mmber1;962304 said:
So it is doable? SO i could "crimp" the connectors? Will it hinder the MXL's capabilities?

only with that SPECIFIC tool I mentioned. Need the correct pins etc. Crimping is the prefered method of most electronics but you have to have QUALITY crimpers (back to the DMC AF8 + THA1 about $300 when all said and shipped unles you get lucky on ebay). Crapy crimpers will result in really bad crimps.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Ok, picking up the tool's and required materials are no problem. How would i go abotu doing this? Would i start by tapping the wiring harness? Or would i litterally have to start from complete scratch?

Figgie: I REALLY appreciate your help :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
s383mmber1;962316 said:
Ok, picking up the tool's and required materials are no problem. How would i go abotu doing this? Would i start by tapping the wiring harness? Or would i litterally have to start from complete scratch?

Figgie: I REALLY appreciate your help :)

TAPPING?

No such thing as tapping man :) you literally need to run new wire. Are you running AEM? How are you going to feed the AiM MXL?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
s383mmber1;962331 said:
I am not running a AEM, im on a stock turbo ECU.

Ok perhaps I didn't cleary state what I meant.

The AIM MXL Sport (Is that the strada or older model) will need to have parallel sensors running for.... well everything.

Speed requires a new digital speed sensor.
Oil will require a seperate OIL Pressure sensor as the sport can not be configured for Digital input.
RPM, not sure how you would get that signal..... off the ECU maybe.
Water temp, can use stock sensor but then requires race studio 2 to configure.

lots of work to get it to work correctly.

btw you can download race studio 2 dfom aimsport.com. Fiddle with it and see what it can and can not do. :)

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Figgie: Its the one that retails for 1099$

I can pick it up for the 200-250 dollar range, practiacally brand new.

I only want it for the tachometer and speed. Would it be worth picking it up?

Thanks i realyl do appreciate the positive feedback

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
s383mmber1;962459 said:
Figgie: Its the one that retails for 1099$

I can pick it up for the 200-250 dollar range, practiacally brand new.

I only want it for the tachometer and speed. Would it be worth picking it up?

Thanks I really do appreciate the positive feedback

The tacho, you might have issues. Though reading the manual it say that all you need is a sqaure voltage out of the ECU. (5v -80v is the voltage window it can read). With that said, it has no information on OEM ecu.s all of it are for standalones. You can try tapping and see what happens but I would not until I put an oscope on the RPM signal output from the TCCS.

The speed sensor. That one will be a pain. Reason is that you will need to install another magentic trigger sensor on the wheels or somehow tap the sensor that the ABS uses in the transmission. Buffer that signal and split it to the ABS computer and the AiM.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Like Figgie said, I don't know for sure if the tach signal from the ECU will be properly read by the AIM. I have hooked AIM Sports dashes up to Nissan ECUs with no problem. Does the supra ECU use a square wave tach signal? I thought it did, but I might be wrong.

Speed is easy, you would just need a pickup somewhere. Somewhere after the transmission or on one of the front wheels. I have seen speed sensors installed on the driveshaft, half shafts, hubs, etc. Any place that will spin relative to the speed of the car. And the dash should come with everything you need for a speed sensor.

As for making your own harness, it's not worth it financially. I'm not sure on the autosport binder connectors, but the Duetsch connectors on the pro sell for almost $100 each just for the single connector that goes to the back of the ecu. The autosport connectors should be cheaper, but how much, I don't know. Plus the proper crimping tool, as Figgie mentioned, isn't cheap. It's really not worth the 250-300 or whatever AIM sells them for.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
So if i wanted to simply run speed, and tachometer:

I could "possibly" tap into the ECU signal for the RPMS and i could run my own speed sensor for speed?

This doesnt sound bad, and for the deal im getting, ill give it a shot. How would i power the unit? Obviously i cant tap into any wires to power it, like a boost gauge or AFC. How would be the best way to go about doing this?

THanks guys, any more input is GREATLY appreciated.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
figgie;962487 said:
The tacho, you might have issues. Though reading the manual it say that all you need is a sqaure voltage out of the ECU. (5v -80v is the voltage window it can read). With that said, it has no information on OEM ecu.s all of it are for standalones. You can try tapping and see what happens but I would not until I put an oscope on the RPM signal output from the TCCS.

The speed sensor. That one will be a pain. Reason is that you will need to install another magentic trigger sensor on the wheels or somehow tap the sensor that the ABS uses in the transmission. Buffer that signal and split it to the ABS computer and the AiM.

When you mention the ABS sensor, you mean anti - lock brake sensor? If so, i do not have ABS....

Thanks guys once again: If theres anything i can do for you guys, im more than happy to go out of my way. :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
s383mmber1;962753 said:
So if i wanted to simply run speed, and tachometer:

I could "possibly" tap into the ECU signal for the RPMS and i could run my own speed sensor for speed?

This doesnt sound bad, and for the deal im getting, ill give it a shot. How would i power the unit? Obviously i cant tap into any wires to power it, like a boost gauge or AFC. How would be the best way to go about doing this?

THanks guys, any more input is GREATLY appreciated.

You might. I would test it with an oscope first. If the signal is not square wave don't bother. You might end up frying either the ECU or the Display.