Aftermarket Seq. Twin Turbo setup...

Kurai

Nov 29, 2009
Savannah, GA
Hey all Im pretty new to the JZ series of Toyota engines and have been trolling around here, google, and a half other forums trying to gather various bits of information.
In all my searching tho I find little info on a aftermarket seq twin turbo setup. (Minus the like 10k kits i see here and there from HKS or Greddy) so im curious on what I would need to set one up.
My ultimate goal for my car (1973 240Z by the way) is to give it power in the 600hp range give or take in a seq twin setup (which i have to keep reeling myself in and stick true to what i ultimately want since this will be a true project car/ weekend car) something with a semi-quick spool yet enough power to make impressive top speed runs if necessary.

So does anyone know or think they know a good way to set this up? Im wide open to suggestions about how to go about setting this up on a 2JZ. I also need to know a very good standalone to use that can handle the setup have the ability to run on low or high boost settings at a minimum at least, since I am not looking for 600 all the time maybe only like 5-10% of the time if that I just want it there if I need it. Probably looking at only being in the low 300 range on a average weekend.

Drop the knowledge on me guys lol.

Nick 95 6sp

Ported & Polished
Sep 5, 2007
S.E. PA
The HKS, Greddy, Blitz aftermarket twin setups are all parallel, not sequential. Not to say they're "bad" just not sequential.

The recent development and availability of these might interest you since they can be run sequential and make 450whp on 93 oct @ 18 psi and they're getting right to 600whp on racegas at high boost https://www.speedforsale.com/suprap...-p-553.html?osCsid=faog5qnejo89ifcgs5e10e0876

Other than upgrading your fuel system so it can flow enough for 500whp+ you only really need a piggyback fuel controller for the above. A full standalone EMS helps maximize what you can do, but not necessary. The small single setup I just removed (now I'm working on a custom parallel twin setup) easily made ~470 whp on 93 pump on nothing but the stock ecu and the mapecu piggyback and since I have 850cc injectors and twin Supra pumps at high boost this "could" make 600whp+ although I never dyno'd at that level to prove it; others have on very similar setups so it's not a mystery or magic.

Kurai

Nov 29, 2009
Savannah, GA
Hmmmm very interesting and I like that they are using Garrett GT28s I have a GT2871R in my Corolla.

Hmmm do you think it is worth the 3k? In your personal opinion. i like that they are in ATL too (Im in Savannah, GA) so its just a drive up the street if there is a issue lol. So with this going into a 240Z Im think a full standalone is gonna be my only option as it is...which would you recommend to go with to run this setup? Im not at all familiar with the seq. system but have heard it can be somewhat tricky. What would be a good solid fuel setup to run?
I was looking at a driftmotion rail and running some larger injectors (havent decided on the size yet but looking for larger then 550cc) and havent decided on twin walboros or what (still doing alot of research).

What do you think about all of this good deal? It seems like they made the numbers but the test Supra had a decent amount of supporting mods (which isnt a big issue, since ill be getting alot of those as it is out of necessity lol)

Nick 95 6sp

Ported & Polished
Sep 5, 2007
S.E. PA
If you want sequentials and a "stealth" look virtually same as stock, and are OK with high 400whp range on 93 pump and close to 600whp on racegas, that's a nice setup. Like you said, they're also nearby to you and highly noted for excellent customer service so that's all pluses. You could even talk to them about other options, such as what EMS can work with all this and other special considerations about using it in a 240Z.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why standalone would be your only option just because you're putting a 2JZGTE into a 240Z. You could still use the stock ecu to control timing and fuel, plus a fuel piggyback like MAPECU or even old school VPC/GCC, and easily achieve your power goals. Of course a standalone gives you quite a bit more tuning flexibility. My only experience with a full standalone EMS is coming up now since I now have an AEM ver2 and as soon as assembly is complete we'll be tuning with that. But there are also a few other good EMS options that you should research and figure out which one you and your tuner are most comfortable with.

I'm not a Walbro fan so I have never used one nor do I plan to. But they seem to be quite popular so this is just my opinion and feelings about it. Last few years I've had twin Denso Supra pumps and 850cc Seimens injectors (I bought the whole PHR Stg 2 fuel system with their rail) and I'm still using that in my current build. If I was going to go with something else it would be maybe a Bosch or other higher end single pump but no Walbros for me. As far as fuel rails...pretty much a rail is a rail as long as it's big enough and machined nice and clean.

Kurai

Nov 29, 2009
Savannah, GA
Hmmm thats good to know I will have to see if any of the places selling 2JZs also have them with the ECU.......wait using the R154 will i be able to use the ECU out of a MKIV? I also think most ppl selling them are out of automatics as well. More research lol.

Far as the engine I dont really care about a stock look or not as ill probably do something to live it up as it is, but what small modifications can I do to the stock unit that will help it flow better with the stock or even upgraded twins? I have seen here and there of ppl smoothing the bore on the manifold, and have also been eyeing the BC valve spring and retainer set offered on Titan. (I wanna be able to rev a bit higher to stretch the powerband out). The rail I have been looking at is the one offered on driftmotion (seems most the parts i found are there lol) that accepts the GM size injectors.

In reality Im still on the fence a little between the twin or big single but just dont think the big single with give me the response I want and if it does then wont provide the overall power I want.

Oh and whats wrong with the Walboros? If you have had issues with them do share before I buy a set lol, I have no gripes with Denso since they make alot of OEM and performance parts it seems in the Japanese circuits.

Nick 95 6sp

Ported & Polished
Sep 5, 2007
S.E. PA
To increase flow you could go with more aggressive cams than stock. I just got GSC S1's but haven't even buttoned up and started the motor yet, but I have high expectations from them. Also you can port the head and get maybe 20% flow improvement; this thread has very good comparative data on head flow http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?99476-Supra-Head-Flow-(5M-7M-1JZ-2JZGE-2JZGTE)

I just got my head ported plus added a bunch of nice parts on it

p1558452_1.jpg

p1558452_2.jpg

You mention reving higher than stock so a stock ecu will limit you there with the built in rev limit ~6800 rpm. Prior to my AEM2 I used a gForce moded stock ecu with raised rev limit over 8000 but the small single turbo I had peetered out by 7000 anyway. Of course with a standalone you can set your own limiter.

Like I said, I have no personal experience with Walbros, just fantasy fears. Over the years I have this impression sunk in my brain that reliability of Walbros is no where near that of the stock Supra pump (Denso) especially at elevated boost. Two Densos pump enough for 1000whp and a good number of Supras over that just use three of them.

Kurai

Nov 29, 2009
Savannah, GA
Hmm ok so if I run dual Denso and port and polish the head with a good 3-angle and run a AEM standalone I should be pretty set for current and future setups. I havent heard of the cam set you mentioned Ill have to look into it. I have heard of ppl running the BC 272s i think but ran across a thread where someone said they arent that good for higher hp setups, not sure how true that is. I have been considering buying the DM intake manifold to use with their rail and 80mm TB, think it is worth it or waste of time?

Nick 95 6sp

Ported & Polished
Sep 5, 2007
S.E. PA
I have no idea what the DM intake manifold is. Otherwise, the GSC cams are very highly rated. I chose my S1's over the HKS but you can't go wrong with HKS either. The GSC's have a tad more lift and a more aggressive profile.

Nick 95 6sp

Ported & Polished
Sep 5, 2007
S.E. PA
earlier today I read a post on the other forum with pics of a DM exhaust manifold so then I also realized what you meant. It looks like nice stuff. The exhaust manifold I saw looked very well constructed/welded and made from sch 10 stainless pipe.

Yes your link is for the cams I mentioned. And yes, the Crower has 272 which is longer duration than the S1's since S1's are 269; HKS also has highly regarded 272's; GSC S2's are 274's ...why? cause Greg always has to do it a little bigger.

I have not really paid attention to BC Crower stuff. Not because it's bad, just because when it came time for me to buy cams, I was already set on the GSC S1's. I didn't want longer duration for my purposes but I like the high lift and aggressive lobe profiles.

Kurai

Nov 29, 2009
Savannah, GA
Hmmm if I do end up going single I'll def be going with DM i think, first I was kinda skeptical but I keep hearing good things from various JZ series owners with their kits. Yeah I think if I do Cams ill be running a BC set.
lol so once again im up in the air on which one to get if I do the DM kit I may just get the engine from them as well and see if they can work me a deal for the engine, turbo kit, and intake manifold w/rail.....still have yet to hear back from them tho. even tried PMing "Bigaaron" on here as well no dice.

Nick 95 6sp

Ported & Polished
Sep 5, 2007
S.E. PA
good luck with your build, sounds like it'll be nice. I don't know Bigaaron but I assume he's big. So it shouldn't be hard to spot him.

Kurai

Nov 29, 2009
Savannah, GA
lol he is the Driftmotion rep...think thats his tag on here. Thanks Ill def keep you guys posted as I start to build up the 2J.

mtriples

May 25, 2010
Alberta
Not sure if you've bought all this already, but suprastore.com offers the same sequential T28 upgrade, for much cheaper.

On a side note, Sound Performance offers a true upgrade, not just remanufactured turbos with larger turbines. Last power figures I heard quoted were ~1100 whp on race gas. I called about it though, they said it is an in-house build only, and up to about $20k including labour and materials.

Also, Titan and Powerhouse both offer good full fuel upgrades, preassembled.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
And that being said, suprastore.com... just do a search either here or on SF... terrible terrible terrible reviews, many people having issues. Not getting parts, etc etc