aftermarket car alarm install help needed

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
so my car is a 91 mk3 turbo auto white package
factory alarm is not wanted so i removed theft deterrent module and grounded starter wire to ground(starts fine)

now the alarm i have installed is a Viper VH350 alarm with keyless entry
so far i have ran constant 12v, ignition wire, ground, starter kill relay

the issue im having is with the door switch trigger wire
alarm has 2 different wires for this...1 for if power is supplied with door open and other for if ground is supplied with door open
from what i have read and understood door switch should show ground or 1.0v with door open but im getting 12v with door open
also i need to make sure im reading the right switch...is the door switch the 1 with black rubber piece covering it or is it the lever that pivots on door and seat belt assembly?

i have found these following forums with little info on door switches
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?172172-MK3-car-alarm-install-DIY

this is a link to car alarm connections
http://www.modifiedlife.com/1991-toyota-supra-car-alarm-installation-guide/

better link with a pdf file of install
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?101-Aftermarket-Alarm-installation

2nd page down he shows the door trigger wire at fuse box
1N-7 red with white stripe wire...now i measured voltage and it showed 12 volts with door switch depressed and not depressed
shouldnt my voltage change?

to sum it up im trying to figure out whats causing my door switch harness to constantly show 12v
also my dome light doesnt work with the doors opening anymore...i figured its the common bad connection in dome housing...but pressing map lights make the lights come on

thanks for any input

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
jonahs_supra;1836546 said:
**fixed**
found my door courtesy light switches are bad
not making a good clean contact when door is opened
now the hunt for new or used switches

I actually just replaced mine, Brand new from toyota for like $15 each.

It's one 10 or 12mm bolt that holds it in and the wiring goes into the inside behind a panel that you can pop out. If you have a long set of pliers you can pull the old clip off of the harness and feed the new wire to the harness. You might have to take a few screws off in order to get some enough flex but it can easily be done in 10 mins tops.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
Koenigturbo;1850602 said:
jonahs, nice link that was helpfull! Now I need to find out what wire does what on my Clifford,

no problem
as far as clifford i dont know much about them
however you may need to bypass the stock alarm...i dont have my door lock's hooked up yet
kinda debating if i would rather someone open my door and alarm go off or bust my window then alarm go off lol

and do as hvyman said...splice into the wiring...solder if you have the ability

for anybody looking for a alarm system i love my viper vh350
works wonders and has passive arming
after ignition is turned off and the viper see's a door has closed
it goes into passive...30 seconds later it set the alarm
only downside i have found is if your working on it...IIRC you just have to press the valet button once for deactivate the viper until the next ignition cycle(yet to try so i just leave my door open lol)