Aftermarket camshafts

juggernaut

Jul 9, 2006
South Carolina
What are the pros/cons for aftermarket camshafts vs. stock turbo cams. Are they worth the money. Can i achieve the same rpms/hp with tuning. I already have a Maft Pro. and adjustable cam gears.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends on other mods. I've seen several higher power cars make about 10% more power with cams, so dollar for dollar they're usually not a smart upgrade on a BPU car.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Definitely worth it (JZ motors). Shop around and keep an eye out for good deals or group buys.

A good reason to re-shim and tune the head up during installation, too ;)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
On the 7MGTE, it only moves the power around from what I've seen.

The gains are pretty expensive compared to more boost pressure and fuel. :)

I'd spend the money on larger valves, some port work, and correctly adjusted settings for everything.

Key points are to leave a small anti-reversion lip on the exhaust ports, about 1mm to 1.5mm is enough, especially if you port the exhaust manifold some to add another lip there too. (Think venturi going into the manifold.)

On the intake, either remove the valve guide posts, or smooth/blend them into wing shapes. On the exhaust, remove them so the runner is round.

CompCam's valve springs are an easy, and cost effective mod regardless of if you use stock valves, or larger ones.

Most of all, have fun with the Supra. They are great sports cars! :)

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
I'm listening to this guy ^ He is an official engine expert C: Here is a question for you sir, I want to run the bc stage 4 280 cams in my 7m, do i need shimless buckets?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You will need to do the measurements with the cams torqued down. Adjust them as needed but do not use any oil on the top of the bucket. You can put some lightly on the side of the bucket but not on the top. After you have done that, remove each bucket and take a total measurement of the height of the bucket including the shim on top. Then go to the dealer and order the shimless bucket you need.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Different cams will provide different results. Some cams will increase under the curve power, not just move the power. Unless your making over 500 rwhp, cams should be the last item to upgrade. As already said, bang for the buck, it is little to gain on mid level motors. The only time I suggest doing some major cam upgrade, is if you want to get the big head work out of the way the first time around, prior to going to a larger set up.

The main reason people think there is a loss down low, is that big cams provide such big top end punch, that the bottom end "seams" weaker in comparison. When in fact, you could actually be making a bit more power down low as well, as compared to before cam install.

juggernaut

Jul 9, 2006
South Carolina
I just purchased a BC 272 cams/CompCam valve springs/standard ferrea valves. My concern is that will the stock retainers hold up to that set up. I plan on having the head p&p. Is there that a big differece between stock ferrea valves and 1mm ferrea valves? i know that the machine shop charges more to do it.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Stock retainers should hold up just fine. If you add 1mm OS valves, you should get a P&P to take full advantage of them. Ferrea is lighter and stronger. I'd go ahead and replace the guides to Ferrea hardware while you're in there (personal opinion). Since the head is where all of the power is made, it doesn't hurt to focus on it a lot.

Make it last for many miles to come.

mikeymkll7mgte

Supraholic
Oct 11, 2007
Spokane
On the intake, either remove the valve guide posts, or smooth/blend them into wing shapes. On the exhaust, remove them so the runner is round.

Adjuster, do you happen to have any pictures of this? I know exactly what you mean by this, just want to see what it looks like on a 7m head (done correctly). Thinking about doing this to my other built motor. I ported a 4g63 head like that years ago, and really liked the results. (pulled head from running car, ported, cleaned up, put back on.)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Here is a shot of my 1JZ head I ported.

864a53fd-adec-1ea3.jpg