Aftermarket boost gauge in stock location

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I have seen some guides on this but they were not very detailed on how and where to make the cut. I want to be absolutely sure of what I am doing before I hack up my gauge cluster. Can anyone help me with a guide on how to do this or write one up for me? I have an Autometer boost gauge I plan to paint the rim of it black or if I can just remove it and glue the gauge in place. I do have a spare cluster that I bought specifically for this purpose, so I will be practicing on that but I only have that one, so like I said I want to be absolutely sure of what I am doing and know ins and outs, do's and what not to do's, etc. Thank in advance.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I put an HKS boost gauge in my stock location, it was not particularly difficult.

I did it long ago so I can not provide you with a tutorial of any kind.

Just take your time and measure twice cut once sorta deal. It's not too bad and works out nicely.

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
I mounted 3 Prosports in my cluster its not really hard just time consuming. Start by removing everything from the cluster to just the white plastic case then test fit the gauge with the black surround. That will give you an idea where to cut. You will be doing alot of cutting and test-fitting until you think youre good. And when you think youre done you will see more cuts that need to be made lol.

Size of the gauge matters as well, mine are 52mm and pretty shallow which helps quite a bit. I didn't have to use any glue at all just the included brackets to secure them. Below is the finished result for mine.

001_zps39a4abad.jpg

002_zps6e015910.jpg

GL

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
yea I bought my Autometer boost gauge with the intention of doing this mod it is 52mm as well I remember reading about what size gauges will fit in the cluster. What kind of cutting tool did you use, where did you cut from the front or rear of the cluster, and how do you remove the green flex circuit if it's not just straight forward? I like to fully understand a process with something like this before I actually start work and end up doing something wrong that someone could have told me to avoid. Thank you very much.

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
I used a 10.00 Harbor Freight dremel type tool.

I forgot to take pics of where i cut mine but it was in this area

VoltJumper_zps62ef5440.jpg

If you have the spare cluster just tear into it, take pics of where everything goes before you rip it apart as well. All the green circuits pop right off as well as the gauges.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
cool thanks man. Also the last time I removed my cluster and put it back in my trip meter gets stuck a 9 tenths of a mile. Any info on how to fix that or what to check for?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
oh well, I used to use it to see how many miles I get between fill ups but that's really useless to do with our cars because once you get that nice cold weather who cares how much gas costs lol.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
yea I could but that's a bit more annoying to deal with since you can't just set it to 0 and when you empty the tank you just look and see how many miles you did lol. I will do that if I ever want to check my MPG again.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
My trip meter started getting stuck at nine. A few hundred miles later if won't move at all once I reset it to zero. I don't see how it would have anything to do with the cluster being taken out, the little plastic gear just gets worn. Best bet is to try and find an odometer with close to your vehicle's miles and swap it. That's what I just did. Bought the odometer that is, haven't swapped it yet. I'll be pissed if this one's trip meter is broken too.