AEM vs Others

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Wanted to see if anyone is running AEM on a MK3 7M motor or what other setups (A/F controlers and lexus afm etc) and if AEM is worth the extra money for a 500 wheel setup. Baisically want to find people running AEM and ask some questions.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
It's not always a matter of what's better, but more what the tuner is used to. If you're getting someone else to tune your car for you, find out what systems they are familiar with, which are they most comfortable with. One unit may arguably be better but if the tuner doesn't know the system as well, you may still end up coming out the other side with a crappier tune. Even if you're doing the tuning yourself, it's good to get something that's known and used locally in case you need some hands on help.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I'm running an AEM standalone and totally agree with what radiod says above. Before I bought the unit I checked the local tuners and AEM seemed to be the most widespread in terms of tuner experience.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
These guys have the right idea, the only thing I'd like to add would be te infinite adjustability/adaptability you have with a standalone vs piggybacks. I am running E-85 inmy Sup and can switch back to pump if I get lost without fuel. Just a perk not many think of right away :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
toyotanos;1675616 said:
These guys have the right idea, the only thing I'd like to add would be te infinite adjustability/adaptability you have with a standalone vs piggybacks. I am running E-85 inmy Sup and can switch back to pump if I get lost without fuel. Just a perk not many think of right away :)

Always a good idea if the EMS of choice can auto adjust for the E% especially here in MN where we have E10% for gasoline and E70% - E85% depending on season (with mixes inbetween). ProEFI does, MoTeC does with 4d tables (John Reed was one of the first to get this running on a viper). AEM v2 is getting that capability.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
^^ This is a cool function. Just like an OEM factory setup.

(sadly my V1 AEM does not have that function so its 2 maps on a flashdrive and tuning computer for me) :D

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I have never used a piggyback and I won't. It makes no sense, I rather stay on stock boost and fuel and then upgrade to a standalone, injectors and if needed, braided lines all at once.

On the 7M, 550's and a T4 with a standalone can bring you a lot of power, you would be surprised.

Everyone has their budget but why by a piggyback and turn sell it later for less to get a standalone? Make no sense financially to me.

sweaver

Oct 13, 2010
ny
OP you will most like need a standalone to get 500whp safely IMO. lots of guys run the AEM unit, their are some good posts about the AEM's quirks in the standalone engine management section.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
im going to have to go over and talk to reed about those 4d tables and all since im switching over to standalone soon too.. mmm.. thanks for the heads up on that one.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
IBoughtASupra;1675701 said:
Figgie, what do you think about the ProEFI? That thing has a bunch of features for a nice price, a nice set of safety features too.

Call up the guys at SP engineering, I know they have been using pro efi for awhile now, and I have seen it in action and I will say it is a nice system.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
IBoughtASupra;1675701 said:
Figgie, what do you think about the ProEFI? That thing has a bunch of features for a nice price, a nice set of safety features too.

can't answer as I have no experience with it. Ask John Reed or any tuner close to you. In the end, it is only as good as the person tuning it knowing the EMS.