aem ems + ?

strictlySupra

Dec 19, 2006
Canada
hey im doing the 2j swap into my mk3 and i have the aem ems pnp unit...

question is do i need a map sensor or wideband o2 sensor to run with the unit?

thanks jeff

SirLoki

Aug 8, 2007
Fullerton
the stock map sensor is good to 18 psi on the aem. the wideband will definitely help you tune the aem on the street and on the dyno.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
they're all pretty decent.. If you're planning to run race gas a lot, I would look into a wideband that can use the NTK sensor as it last 100x longer with leaded vs the bosch unit most use.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
no.. 440s (assume what you have) should be fine on the stock twins @ 17 psi.. You'll be up there in duty (85-90%) but will be enough..

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
actually, you might need to upgrade..

I remember my duty being ~ 80-82% on my 550s @ 18 psi (usdm twins and cams though) which is 440 (80%).. so your injectors will be maxed. It would be wise to upgrade. I was running a little fat though (11.0-10.8 a/f)

SirLoki

Aug 8, 2007
Fullerton
twincam187 said:
awesome man thx.

can you recommend a good wideband to run with the aem or are they all pretty much the same

i am running all the AEM sensors and havent had any problems. the aem wideband is a bosch type sensor.

justin from tuning concepts recommends fjo sensor.... but i just decided to stay with aem so there is no compatibility issues.

strictlySupra

Dec 19, 2006
Canada
when you say ALL of the aem sensors what does that entail

this is my first standalone build so im slowly learning all of this.

what other sensors does aem offer for use with the ems?

SirLoki

Aug 8, 2007
Fullerton
twincam187 said:
when you say ALL of the aem sensors what does that entail

this is my first standalone build so im slowly learning all of this.

what other sensors does aem offer for use with the ems?

3.5 bar map sensor, intake air temp sensor, boost control solenoid and the wideband.

some people dont like the aem boost control solenoid because it will not allow you to change boost "on the fly" rather you would have to make cal adjustments to the map via the laptop.... stick with a separate boost controller if you still wish to adjust boost separately (HKS EVC or Greddy Profec)