AEM EMS and LS2 coils..?

SupraMKIII-NO

Jan 11, 2010
Norway
Hi there!

I am thinking about running LS2 coils on my 7MGTE. Is this possible to run with the AEM EMS, if so, anyone know how to set it up in the AEM EMS?

Also, do i need a igniter when i use LS2 coils, or do they have "internal" igniter? If i need an igniter, can i use the DH61 with the LS2?

Thanx in advance,
Daniel
NORWAY

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Great question. I was thinking the same thing. From what Anthony (Quikstike) has told me, it can be done, however, it will require several custom harnesses to be created.

If anyone has some more information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mo

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
I have no clue how much the ls2 coils are, but take a look at the AEM pencil coils aswell as the 1zz coils. You could do COP and eliminate the plug wires as well as them having internal ignitors

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
He's gonna find the ls coils are way cheaper than the AEM pencil coils. Also known in some circles as Honda CBR coils.
I run the LS1 coils on my 2jz, so I didn't have to struggle with the whole waste fire issue on top of the coil swap which you will.

An aftermarket ECU of some type is required to properly do this change due to the need to adjust the dwell setting difference between LS coils and stock.

A minty nice set of used LS coils will cost you less than a single brand new JZ coil if you do some careful shopping. Plus you'll get 2 extras in the set as a bonus!

As for the 7M situation I am unable to help in that area but I am sure that some of the members here can for sure.

Oh, almost forgot, each LS coil contains it's own ignitor, so the stock one needs to be eliminated.

SupraMKIII-NO

Jan 11, 2010
Norway
Ahh, ok..

Do you know the "username" to the people on the forum that could help me out?

Is the LS1 and LS2 coils different in setup? Since you said you used LS1 coils so you didn't need to struggle with the waste spark?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
LS1 coils have a flipped upside down pin arrangement to LS2 coils. LS2 coils are slightly stronger IIRC.

1zz coils I have no personal experience with.

But all the coils discussed so far are made by denso, including the stock 7m coils.

SupraMKIII-NO

Jan 11, 2010
Norway
Hi..

Ok, but does anyone know how to "tune" the AEM to work with LS2 coils? I think i need to use the nr.10inj output as a sixth coil output. But the LS2 coils are "smart" coils, and they fire with a 5v signal.. sooo, does the COIL outputs on the AEM send 5v signals, or "ground" signals? Can the 30-1130 AEM EMS drive LS2 coils, since they are not "waste spark coils"?