Advice on using factory fuel feed line as a return line for e85 setup?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Isn't the factory return line the same size?

If not you would just have to re route the feed line away from the filter and back to the tank like the rerun.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Single ~340lph pump the factory return will suffice, but if you go dual you'll need to either run new hose or double up. I used the factory vent line as my second return line- it's actually just as big as the return line if you cut the crimped/reduced ends off.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
Running the e85 walbro. Not sure if its still called the 400 or 415 or 450 but its what I have. Plan is e85. And I got -8 for feed in case I get 2 340 pumps in replacement of the 400. ( 2 400pumps don't fit well)

And 6an from rail to regulator to flex fuel sensor then to the factory fuel line feed then by pass the filter by getting a m14x1.5 inverted flare to an fitting with a barb and do the same for the other fitting and connect the 2 with some sort of hose.
To complicated?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Generally when you have -8 feed you have a -6 return. -6 is equal to 3/8ths. Which is about the size of the stock feed and return.

Also your going to put the flex fuel sensor on the return? Better on the feed and better to have a surge tank. Best to have what ever your tuning with the know what fuel is going to the engine not what's already gone to it.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
Ill keep that in mind but its already proven that it works on the return line. i have plenty of fuel pump to support the motor so im not concerned about a surge tank. just trying to get it hooked up. ive never even looked at the factory fuel filter :/ i remember someone mentioning its above the diff and good luck changing it.

any builds using the factory feed as a return line?

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
found a thread on removing the filter. either droptank or subframe. i need to pull the tank any how. so the fittings on the hanger for the feed line are they m14x1.5 inverted flare? how about the "OUT" on the filter?

looking for an adapter to go to AN here and do a socketless hose.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Fuel filter can be removed without dropping tank or subframe. Just be careful not to twist the lines.