Advice on hks knock off bov

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I want to let people know that the blow off valve that you get with the drift motion inter cooler kit needs some work done to it if you have compressor surge. What I did and it worked is get some permatex from advance auto or where ever. Next take the back of the bov off and remove the diaphram. Put a bead of permatex around where the diaphram fits onto the front housing. Place diaphram back on bov.Then pull the center black piece out which is where the check valve is attach to and take the o'ring out off the bottom and throw it away. Put a bead of permatex where the o'ring fits. Now push the black center piece back onto the bov. Let dry overnight. They are cheap and have alot of leaks inside. I believe the main problem was the black center piece is to loose causing the bov to leak and it could not build up pressure on the back side of the check valve. Keep in mind to put a small bead of permatex. Don't overdue. Hope this helps.

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
Mine went out. What do you think about how they have it right next to the turbo? It seems like the heat will cause problems with that as well

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I have not had mine long at all, maybe a week. It might cause a problem. My plans is to get some heat wrap and do my intercooler pipe and the bov also. You might have the same problem I did. You can take yours apart and look and see if the little black piece that has the check valve in it is loose. Mine was a little tight coming out but what was happening is the pressure was blowing the black piece off of the o'ring causing it to leak. I would still take the o'ring out and throw it away and put some permatex in its place. The seal is fixed and your bov will blow off at normal driving conditions. No more compressor surge.

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
Thanks for the info, i'm going to check that out later this week. Yea i hope it's the problem if not i'll be ordering a another bov i guess, I'm going to be relocating it this time just in case as well. i've heard from other members that the knock offs tend to go bad when they're so close to the turbo around 500 mi.