Advice on build

stitch89t

I'm coming back from Afghanistan in a few weeks and I'm finally gonna have the time and money to put into my 89 Turbo Supra. I want it as a nice daily with a lil bit of power and reliability.

So far what I have is just a K&N FIPK and I'm not sure what the exhaust is. I never really looked for it looks like a generic 2.5" in.

My plans and parts that I already bought.

Engine

- FMIC with pipes (My stock one had a lot cracks in hoses so I figured I'd get this).

- NGK Spark Plug Wires

- NGK O2 Sensor

- Titan Motorsports 2.0MM MHG

- ARP Head Bolts and Studs

- Aluminum intake pipe to replace cracked accordion hose.

- Turbo Timer

- CT26 Replacement

Interior, Body & Suspension

- Godspeed 16-Way Adjustable Coilovers

- 88 Front End

- Get some upholstery done

- D/S Rotors & Posi Quiet Ceramic brake

I have about a $1000 budget if you guys have any ideas. I want to do anything I can to the head right now that I'm gonna be changing the HG but I don't really know where to start and what would be a good idea to do.

Open to anything thanks.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Well, you do realise that $1000 isn't a lot for wanting to do all that. Fitting a metal headgasket requires that the engine is removed from the vehicle, stripped down and taken to a machine shop to be surfaced to 35 RA or better. You could put it on without any work, but...don't expect it to do anything but go *BOOM* :p

Worth rebuilding the top end at the very least, ie - clean the head, lap the valves, clean the combustion chambers etc - all work you can do yourself for almost nothing. A stock headgasket with ARP studs is probably a cheaper option, at least at the moment, with that budget. I'd use the genuine Denso O2 sensor from Toyota as well.

Thing is, with Mk3's - most people that cheap out on parts really, really regret it very quickly. Not saying you have to spend $1000's on your car, but when you're working to a budget, you want to concentrate on what needs sorting out FIRST, before trying to do everything at once, skimping on parts.

Concentrate on the engine - for $1000 you should end up with some decent change, if you do the majority of the work yourself. Get a genuine Toyota gasket set, again, no eBay cheap shit. Take the head off - strip it bare, clean it yourself (see JSeamans guide for details) and then take it to a machine shop - ask them to surface it for you - make sure only the ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM is taken off. 2thou ought to be more than enough. Never, ever skim the head flat, if it's bowed. If it's bowed front to back, just torquing it down will straighten it. If it's bowed from side to side - junk the head, get another one.

stitch89t

Oh I guess I didn't explain myself right... Those are all parts that I have already. I have about $1000 left over. I've already spent over $2000 on these parts but looking for any ideas on what to do once the head is off... Thanks for the info anyway...

stitch89t

I'm looking at OEM spec since I am not trying to push that much HP on it anyway and I figure a good, reliable, 240-260HP engine would make me more than happy for my daily driver.

I am just trying to get all my internals and supporting mods down so when I make this my fun car in the future I know where to start.

Any ideas on what to do once the head is out?

Last edited:

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Kai;1551488 said:
Concentrate on the engine - for $1000 you should end up with some decent change, if you do the majority of the work yourself. Get a genuine Toyota gasket set, again, no eBay cheap shit. Take the head off - strip it bare, clean it yourself (see JSeamans guide for details) and then take it to a machine shop - ask them to surface it for you - make sure only the ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM is taken off. 2thou ought to be more than enough. Never, ever skim the head flat, if it's bowed. If it's bowed front to back, just torquing it down will straighten it. If it's bowed from side to side - junk the head, get another one.

What does BOWED mean? Is it just another name for how the head is milled?

Sorry for the quick thread jack stitch

closetnerd

35% Biotic
Feb 15, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
300px-Wood_warping.png