advice on amp to go with new speakers/head unit

Gwydre

Wild Orange
Feb 10, 2007
The Woodlands, Texas
hey. just got a sony Xplod head unit, and infinty 4022i's for the doors, 5022i's for the rear. soon as I have the money going to get an amp for the setup. not sure what amp will complement this setup best, looking for advice.
Thanks,
Sebastian

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
If you're looking for a reasonable 4 channel amp to power those speakers, check out:

Kenwood KAC-6402
Alpine MRP-F250
JL Audio A4300

If you're willing to spend a bit more, the Boston Acoustics GT-40, JL Audio 300/4, Elemental Designs NINe.4, or Diamond Audio 300.4 would do you very nicely as well. I wouldn't go much higher end than those for that setup.

You REALLY do not need much to power those speakers efficiently, and they are 2Ohms each (so they will draw more power out of most amps anyway), so don't be thrown off by the amps seemingly low power... There are TONS more amplifiers out there that would more than sufficiently power your setup, but those are just a few that would "compliment" it or exceed it by a bit.

Are you looking to add a sub in the future?

Last edited:

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA

Gwydre

Wild Orange
Feb 10, 2007
The Woodlands, Texas
yea thinking about adding a couple subs in the future. not a fan of overpowering bass, but I like it to be present. I'm a musician myself, so I tend to want my audio quality to go above and beyond what is needed. thanks for the input so far.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Then you may want to check out a decent 5 channel amp for the sake of simplicity and function. I'm about to go work out, but I'll throw some models at you when I get back (probably 11ish EST).

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
I've been looking around for a bit, and IMHO the Infinity Reference 5350a would be a very good match for those speakers and a reasonable sub. It's rated at 60Wx4 RMS @ 2Ohms and 300Wx1 @ 2Ohms (or 150Wx1 @ 4Ohms). you'd have to keep the gain down a bit, but it's certainly not overkill and it would allow a bit of room for upgrading in the future. Also, if you're more into audio quality than thumping around, one good sub powered with 300W would sound great (and you'd definitely be able to thump with it as welll).

Another VERY good amp would be the Alpine MRV-F450. It's not quite as powerful as the Infinity (and the sub channel is rated quite a bit lower), but it's a more musical, very high quality amp. The Alpine is rated at 40Wx4 RMS @ 2Ohms and 150Wx1 RMS @ 2Ohms... The difference is, the Alpine is rated at 12V whereas I believe the Infinity is rated at 14.4V, so the power difference shouldn't be AS extreme... This particular model is actually a bit underrated besides that as well... I have first hand experience with this one, and I know several people who have been VERY happy with it. This is a V12 series amp, NOT a V-Power amp (a VERY good thing)!! It was discontinued last year, but can still be had new very easily.

Last edited:

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
But as you said before, he doesn't need all that additional power ;-). The MRV-F450 realistically puts out around 60Wx4 RMS@2Ohms and 200Wx1@2Ohms. The only place it's lacking the juice is the sub channel, but it's still sufficient to effectively drive a single good quality 10-12" sub.

The Eclipse is definitely worth checking out too. I think the Kicker is a bit overkill for his needs, though, and the other three brands would probably be a bit more musical anyways.

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
Great idea, an older amp maybe idk a PPI Art A404. would compliment this setup nicely. get nice clean power out of that type of amp.

Just shooting some ideas to you

Brian

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
I concur with that as well. If you decided to go with an older amp you can generally get a lot more for your money. PPI is an excellent brand overall as well, as are older Phoenix Gold, OLDER Rockford Fosgate ('97 and before), older Soundstream (before 2001, although their new stuff is okay), etc... Lots of choices!