ADVICE NEEDED - Strongly Considering Selling my Supra

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Hey all,

I apologize in advance if this turns into a long read - it's somewhat complicated...

I have a bit of a dilemma... Some of you may remember me from several years back - I used to be pretty active here...

Basically, I'm in the process of moving, and the car's been sitting idle in my garage for a couple years now... I have / had a ton of work put into it... it has a fully rebuilt, race ready engine (new CP Carillo pistons, BC rods, BC 272 degree camshafts, Fidanza cam gears, ARP Studs for main and head, HKS Stopper headgasket, Greddy timing belt, BC valves / stems / springs, etc............) that probably has 15 miles on it since the build. I have a MAP ECU installed and partially tuned... and here's where the problem is...

Right now, the car is a roller... When the build was initially completed, the car ran, but was somewhat inconsistent, and needed to be tuned.. I decided to go with a Map ECU 2 after research on this site (since I have an auto I'd have to get a full standalone ECU and a transmission controller if I decided to go that route, and I was told I may lose TEMS). Nobody in my area is familiar with MAP ECU tuning, and very few are familiar with the 7M... so my mechanic (who is good with 7Ms, and familair with tuning in general) had to begin learning about MAP ECU tuning, plus the quirks with the 7M... We decided to eliminate the KVM and use manifold absolute pressure (more on this later).

Between my mechanic storing my car while I accumulated parts, doing the actual build, and learning the MAP ECU, my car was in his shop for ~5 years. Unfortunately, two years ago, the week before Christmas, he was in a car accident and passed away. I had to get a flat bed to bring my car back and get it into my garage... I've done a bit of research around, and have had little luck finding someone who can take over in my area... so the car has sat since, untouched...

Here's the dilemma... between the time it's been sitting, my mechanic passing away (I was pretty close with him - he used to let me come to his shop to work on my car, and we bonded pretty tight), and my lack of luck finding someone else in my area, I don't have any motivation any more... I'm tired of seeing it... which is a shame, because I put so much love into it. I'd like to just off-load it as a roller, but with everything put into it I just don't know how to present it... Obviously I'd take a huge loss.

Conversely, we're moving down to the Research Triangle area of NC, in which I've actually found people who could work on it... however I'd need to haul the damn thing down there... and then find time / energy to get it done (and spend additional money hauling it and having it completed).

I dunno... basically, I'm stuck... I guess ideally I'd like to find someone to sell to who knows what they're doing, and wants a bit of a project... I purchased an AEM standalone as a backup plan, but never even got that far.

Advice? Talk to me!

James

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Sorry to hear about the mechanic. That's terrible.

For the car, I would see what's needed to revert to stock electronics/ECU. With all those goodies in the engine you're going to lose a LOT of money just because it won't run. I think it would also be more than worth your time to invest in getting it running with the MAP ecu (even if that means paying a tuner a few thousand to get it going). Selling a car with great parts, but that doesn't run is a bad idea, IMO. The buyer is going to have to assume the engine is worth essentially nothing - that's all completely lost money for you.

You're already 90% there. Take it the last 10% and enjoy it and keep it or sell it as a nicely running car. I also think it'd be a cool reminder of the mechanic friend to get it finished and keep it. :)

I'm stubborn as hell on stuff like this though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Letsride

Aug 26, 2009
NC
It all depends on what you want out of it! Either way you will take a loss....but if you are trying to recoup as much of your money backwithout spending even more to complete the car part it out. The final decision will have to be yours.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
If it still looks like the car in your signature then I say get it running and enjoy it. You're going to have a blast driving it with the top down. I also know that there are a lot of curvy roads in North Carolina up in the mountains, so that will definitely be a blast. Find a reputable shop and drop it off. You're going to take a beating trying to sell it and the parts as is. Good luck.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
A good private contract car hauler can move the car for about $300, so really no reason to abandon the project at this point. If I were you I'd have found a good shop somewhere on the eastern seaboard and had it hauled there to be tuned already, then just drive it home. The important thing is to find a shop that's been around a long time and has a good rep, and isn't a one man place. A good shop will have no problem providing a timeline in writing from the owner or manager that details a promised start date, best estimate completion date, and WHO will be doing the work so you know they're not putting a vo-tech intern on it.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Great advice, thank you!

The car, unfortunately, doesn't look quite the same as it did in the photos... it sat in the sun a bit and the front driver's side fender has some fading and pealing, and there is a rust spot under the skirt piece behind the passenger side front wheel well. Otherwise it's just dirty, but it's not the minty thing it used to be.

I'll do some research into a hauler - didn't realize it could be that cheap. I feel a bit more accomplished and stable now that my house is clean and on the market - when I wrote the initial post I was overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff that needed to be done (I'm taking care of all this as a one man show - my wife and son already moved to our other house in NC) and was in the 'Goodwill' phase, dumping car load after car load off for donations... it's kinda how I felt about the Supra at that point (get it out of the garage and on a trailer and it's yours)...

I'll put a bit more research into a good shop when I build up more energy - for now I'm more at peace with holding on to it.

Thanks!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
theprodigy79;2095437 said:
Great advice, thank you!

The car, unfortunately, doesn't look quite the same as it did in the photos... it sat in the sun a bit and the front driver's side fender has some fading and pealing, and there is a rust spot under the skirt piece behind the passenger side front wheel well. Otherwise it's just dirty, but it's not the minty thing it used to be.

I'll do some research into a hauler - didn't realize it could be that cheap. I feel a bit more accomplished and stable now that my house is clean and on the market - when I wrote the initial post I was overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff that needed to be done (I'm taking care of all this as a one man show - my wife and son already moved to our other house in NC) and was in the 'Goodwill' phase, dumping car load after car load off for donations... it's kinda how I felt about the Supra at that point (get it out of the garage and on a trailer and it's yours)...

I'll put a bit more research into a good shop when I build up more energy - for now I'm more at peace with holding on to it.

Thanks!

Sounds great. Power through! ;)