Adrian's EFR 7163 7M Projects

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
Background:
I started this project over a year ago. Found a neglected 88 Turbo 5 speed that had been sitting for 2 years listed for $1000. I check out the car, there's a R154, ct26 with very little shaft play, a fairly clean underbody (i think it's been on stock suspension it's whole like), a clear case of BHG, and what I later confirmed to be a melted/clogged cat in the downpipe.

$800 later i owned my third supra, first turbo one. A week later under the cover of a cold night i drive the supra home. only in the last couple of miles did the temp start to creep up. A leaking hose was to blame but it didn't matter the head was coming off (I'll add in photos of this soon).

This was to be a cheap 24 hours of lemons car but after taking the head off it was discovered there was fingernail hanging groove in cylinder 4, coolant had sat on the piston ring and ate it's way into the block. This is where it snowballed into a different project, .040 over CP pistons, ARP head studs and rod bolts, a MHG, and 1:8.9 compression later it's become another beast.

I wanted to start my build thread at the fun part:
efr7163small.jpg
Compressor Wheel OD (exducer): 71mm
Compressor Wheel Inducer: 57mm
Max Flow Rate: 60 lb/min
Turbine type: Low Inertia Gamma-Ti Turbine Wheel
Turbine Wheel OD: 63mm
0.80 A/R T4 Twin Scroll (Internal WG)

After the months of waiting for machine work, getting parts, breaking parts, re-installing parts correctly, waiting on funds, etc...
Right now have a working car with 4 days worth of one day passes in it. 99 miles on the new engine, My machine work was done well enough that i broke this in after only a couple miles, the first 40 I had some oil in my intake pipe but after cleaning it out and going another 60 it's still clean and from the feel of the motor now I'd say the rings are on there way to being well seated.

suprawash.jpg

Current parts:
Full silicone kit (china)
Working stock downpipe
large aluminium radiator with electric fans (that hardly ever come on)
a poorly made crush bent downpipe back exhaust with fat can and stock cat welded in.
lot of OEM parts

near future:
A Greddy SP exhaust when i got 3"
PLX wideband
Apexi boost controller
RC550s lexmaf and a reflashed ECU

farther future:
EFR turbo
Intercooler and piping
possibly 680cc injectors

wrap up: I'll be adding more photos as i collect them and make a few prequel posts. For now the car's about to try out smog and i plan to keep it a responsive daily driverable car.

Last edited:

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
updates. I got quoted $120 for a 3 pull base line dyno run with AFR. I think there's another place that's about 10mins farther away that quoted me $85. I'm trying to get a base line dyno pull in and smog done before upgrading the exhaust system.
Also coming up is the new Downpipe, i was quoted 5-6h for the pipe and a day or two of the car at the shop. this also means i'll need to pull the stock manifold and turbo to temperately install my greddy t4 manifold and EFR turbo (I'll also be able to see if i'll have any CPS issues with the compressor housing)

After that I really want to drop the rear sub frame to replace bushings, maybe weld up braces for the subframe.
followed by control arm bushings and probably new adjustable toe links.
I need to get the suspension sorted and aligned so i can i start running my TT wheels and tires.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
Exhaust parts came in and 2 spare AN10 fittings i may use on the turbo.
toolsd.jpg
I got a 3" vband assembly for my downpipe to cat back. I kinda want to cut off the stock flange on my greaddy SP and weld a vband on to the Sp exhaust. But if i want to keep my SP Original I'd have to make a short 3" 2 bolt flange to vband adapter, more money more time. I want to be able to pull the downpipe with just 2 clamps coming off.

Needs to get done:
Fix now large coolant leak from heater hardline block off cap on the driver's side. was a small drip until i over tightened it and stripped the clamp. it's a small space that's hard to get my large hands into but it needs to get fixed.
Charcoal canister installed
and current stock downpipe to catback exhaust gasket needs to be replaced

Then smog (hurray California) .
and the day after, I wire in my PLX wide band into the stock ecu
Install the greaddy T4 manifold
Install EFR 7163
Tow car to shop to get downpipe made

I should be able to drive the car home (with video) if i take care of a few small considerations:
turbo intake: i want to say the stock ct26 inlet is 2 3/4" but my EFR turbo is 2.5" also the EFR turbo will be sitting much closer to the fron of the engine due to the longer length of the turbo.
Turbo outlet: this is a 2" outlet and will be sitting higher and farther forward than stock. I plan to make a hard pipe to adapt the EFR turbo to the stock intercooler. I won't be running the stock IC forever but it will allow me to get the car home.
Low boost waste gate actuator: the stock medium boost WG will only go down to about 11.4 psi. As I'll probably pick up the car with 440s, stock fuel pump, and stock ECU I don't need a lot of boost. For $60 i can get a WG that will take me down to stock boost levels around 6-7psi.

I do have duel pumps, 550s, lex maf, and another ECU with modified fuel cut. If i get this on the car after smog I'll be able to do a lot more but since i have yet to get the software license i need to reprogram the ECU I haven't felt rushed to set this up.

I was quoted $120 for a baseline dyno pull (without AFR), still shopping around as i feel i should be able to do it for closer to $80 with AFR

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
The bay area rain has been slowing down my project. The good news is I've been forced to drive the supra because of the rain and I'm now over 220miles on the new motor. Idles a little high in the cold, I suspect a TPS adjustment is in order. I also had one morning of no start, was my CPS wires, they don't like the heat cycles from turbo hot to 40f and raining.
Once it dries up I'll get a picture of all the goodies i got but here's a teaser.
plxlarge.jpg
I already have a PLX multi gauge to read these (and in the future data log them on my phone)
oil and coolant temp, oil pressure, and EGT.
I'm working a gallery for the rest of my photos
12-5-2014milesupramania.jpg
242 miles.
the car was idling around 800-850 rpm but between the rings seating on slightly higher than stock compression, timing being fixed, and the cold humid air it's been idling around 1k. if not high enough for me super worried but it's something i'll be looking into.

Right now I have the choice of getting the EFR turbo's downpipe made or taking it in for suspension work like reinforcing the rear subframe and replacing all those jello busings. For safety i should fix her legs before i upgrade her heart.

More pix?
http://i.imgur.com/7eH10lx.jpg If you're interested n what the greddy SP looks like

Last edited:

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
NO photobucket but I did drop a few pics from todays test fit. I stopped work for a while but have been on a roll this week. I still need to find my charcoal canister for smog with the stock turbo. today I was clocking the turbo and seeing where i'd run my oil cooler lines. the strut tower might get close to the waste gate control arm.
pics:http://imgur.com/a/3hS2p

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
It's been a while but I've been working on this again. Wiring is being sorted and her legs are being fixed. Found a bad camber bolt in the rear and now as she sits has only traction arms and structs holding the hub up. I might under take dropping the rear sub frame myself. I do have to drop my tank as well for a fuel pump.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
currently car is running again, has new subframe bushings, and alignment. 3" DP on but will come off soon for ceramic coating. The high mile ct26 was replaced with a balanced and rebuilt 54 trim which has brought the car alive. Looking forward to possibly having the much lighter EFR turbo on soon. I need money for an IC upgrade, the oil cooler installed, and a vband downpipe made.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
I realize I'm re-opening a zombie thread... any updates on progress with 7163? I've been looking to do a similar build but I'm having problems finding a divided t4 setup that doesn't already have waste gate provisions. I see you found a Greddy. Is it divided? Any advice where to find one?