Accordian hose to airfilter

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
Right now I'm in the middle of installing a MAFT Pro which I have all the wiring done and now need to mount the sensors so I should be finished pretty quick, ready for spring anyway.

What I'm looking for is an adapter to go between the accordian hose and an airfilter. With the odd size of the accordian hose I'm not having any luck searching posts and web sites.

Does anyone know of an adapter that is available for that or maybe an alternate setup that works well?

Any help is appreciated.

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
Cricket...........Cricket............

Well I did spell accordion incorrectly..............

After posting I realized I failed to state that I was changing the setup to speed density, I suppose I took it for granted that it would be understood, anyway.....that's accually not that important.

Their must not be any alternatives other than replacing the entire setup forward of the turbo. Maybe that will come later but for now I think I will be sacraficing the factory AFM to cut and weld a custom adapter. I have a couple of months so we will see how this turns out.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I would dump the accordion pipe and get a nice aluminum intake pipe to get the air filter away from the turbo and radiator. Silicone couplers are very stretchy and will accommodate slightly larger pipes than their stated size. 1/4" is the most I would stretch it, though.
Also, this isn't really related to the piggyback, so it's in the wrong section. You want to post this in the general MK3 section for better response.

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
I will be using a 3 or 4 in. aftermarket airfilter.

I replaced the accordion last year is the real reason for not changing from it. I had a Lexus Afm on it last. After looking at it closer, it appears that it had gotten streched out from the larger diameter, now just trying to figure out what the hell to do with it. I put a 3 in. pipe in it and there is a huge gap. Thought I could sacrafice the original afm but now think that won't even work.

Still scratching the head.

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
Thanks for the picture pb92supraturbo.

Looks like a nice setup. From what I can see, it looks like a 3 in. tube in the accordion to a silicon cuppler then to the airfilter adapter.
Where is the airfilter and adapter available from?

One other question, I noticed a map sensor, It's quite a ways away from the intake manifold. Is that the one used for speed density?

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
Filter is a K&N FIPK #57-9004 that I already had before installing the Maft Pro. I think I kept the receipt when I ordered the rest of the stuff, let me dig it up and I'll let you know exactly what I used.

Yup, I am running speed density and that is where I mounted my map sensor. I consulted fullthrottletech.com and they advised me that it wouldn't be a problem for the distance of my map sensor. I haven't had any problems tuning with my Maft Pro or running/idling issues with the map sensor where it is. It was easy to mount the map sensor, as there are two tapped holes in the body at that location already with just right spacing. It worked out nice because my air temp sensor is in the cast afm adapter, right next to the map sensor(hidden just behind and below in the photo). The air temp sensor doesn't get heat soaked as bad as if it were upstream, say in the 3000 pipe. I ran the wiring harness for both sensors into the fender, so it looks cleaner as well.

kisedcd;1517337 said:
Thanks for the picture pb92supraturbo.

Looks like a nice setup. From what I can see, it looks like a 3 in. tube in the accordion to a silicon cuppler then to the airfilter adapter.
Where is the airfilter and adapter available from?

One other question, I noticed a map sensor, It's quite a ways away from the intake manifold. Is that the one used for speed density?

Last edited:

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
It's a clean setup.

I have a spot picked out for the MAFT Map along with the Map for the electronic boost gage. I think they will both fit together in the back drivers side corner. I like the idea of having less volume in the hose (shorter run). IAT still undecided, pretty sure not in the 3k pipe though.

For sure, post if your able to find any further information on your setup.

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
Here is what I ended up with.

I found a 3.5 in. 6061 aluminum pipe and cut the end off of it. Fabricated a flange to mirror the one on the factory AFM, then had a coworker weld it for me.

It was tight going on the accordion hose so I used a blow dryer to warm up the rubber then used rubbing alcohol as a lubricant - no residue left behind.

I'm real happy the way it turned out, clean and simple.

The time spent finding the pipe and getting it to a finished product was worth it.

200_DSC00203..jpg200_DSC00215..jpg200_DSC00209..jpg200_DSC00212..jpg200_DSC00207..jpg