ac question

DRIFTER WANNABE

DO WORK
Aug 15, 2008
southern oregon
Drifter wannabe here i want to remove my entire ac assembly on a 86.5 na tubing,compressor, and the thing in front of my radiator
another mk3 owner told me i would lose my heat is this true:1zhelp:

DRIFTER WANNABE

DO WORK
Aug 15, 2008
southern oregon
i just talked to my friend from sac. ca who is a mechanic he told me that it wouldn't remove the heat but it would be a lot harder to defrost my car because the AC sucks all the water out im using my mk3 for drifting so i could care less :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:!!!!!!!!

ONCE YOU START SLIDING ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO STOP

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Edited. Can't know everything like JJ. :D

;)

I kinda get how the HVAC system works. I just keep everything stock. :dunno:

Drift: I wouldn't bother the weight loss is next to nothing for so much effort, In My Opinion.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I just finished removing the rest of my A/C system today (although I still have heat) and I must say that the A/C radiator is freaking huge as well as blocking a lot of air flow the the coolant radiator. Here's pics of my A/C radiator and the space it used to occupy.

0808291tb9.jpg

0808292tg0.jpg

0808294bl0.jpg

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
The easist way to remove the radiator is to remove the front bumper, bumper support, and intercooler. You will then need to remove the coolant overflow tank and loosen the center core support (the piece that the hood latch bolts onto). if you can't get the top inside nut (like me), the assembly will flex enough at the bottom that you can pull it out just enough to slide the radiator out through the bottom.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Lesson time.

First that ac radiator is not a radiator. It is a condensor.

Second. It really doesn't block the air flow that much

Third. Ac doesn't suck the water out for defrost. Defrosting of a window happens only when the window is either warmer than outside or COOLER than outside. So the way your cars hvac system handles that is when you turn your car on and your not at operating temp it kicks your ac compressor on and cools your window first then when you are warm enough for heat it switches to heat

Fourth how do you plan on pumping down the ac system? Considering it is highly illeagal to vent r 12 or r 134 for that matter into the atmosphere. If eats ozone. R 134 not as much as r 12.

Fifth cooler engine temps don't matter. This is debatable. 2 reasons. You want cooler intake air temps that directly relates to a bump in power. Cooler engine temps are great. Until you go so cool that your car nevers satifys the parameters to enter closed loop fuel delviery and you run open loop fuel enrichment forever.

Make sure you put a better system of cooling your power steering you WILL overheating the rack and blow it drifting. And there goes the goal of removing air restriction

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Zumtizzle, I don't have the A/C pump, nor do I have any refrigerant. That's all long gone.

TBC, condenser or radiator, it's still a radiator. On that last note about the PS system, that's what the small radiator is on the passenger side of my car in the front (in front of the radiator).

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I like the extra space in my engine bay. It's also nice not having the extra 30 pounds of weight either. If it weren't for the fact that I need heat to defrost my windows I would have removed the blower unit that's inside the dash too (and lost another 30+ pounds).

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
tbcmorris;1117535 said:
Lesson time.

First that ac radiator is not a radiator. It is a condensor.

Second. It really doesn't block the air flow that much

Third. Ac doesn't suck the water out for defrost. Defrosting of a window happens only when the window is either warmer than outside or COOLER than outside. So the way your cars hvac system handles that is when you turn your car on and your not at operating temp it kicks your ac compressor on and cools your window first then when you are warm enough for heat it switches to heat

grrr

I hate misinformation!

Your 2nd is dead wrong. Anything that is in the "way" of untouched air will affect cooling! The condensor MUST impede air flow otherwise it would be inefficent at removing heat from the coolant.

Your third. WRONG. Hotter than the "current dew point". If it is colder, then you get dew on the windshield. The A/C's job during heating is to DEHUMIDFY the air. 90+ degree air been blown at 80% humidity is bad and if it is cold enough, will cause frost on the inside of the glass.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
figgie;1119551 said:
grrr

I hate misinformation!

Your 2nd is dead wrong. Anything that is in the "way" of untouched air will affect cooling! The condensor MUST impede air flow otherwise it would be inefficent at removing heat from the coolant.

Your third. WRONG. Hotter than the "current dew point". If it is colder, then you get dew on the windshield. The A/C's job during heating is to DEHUMIDFY the air. 90+ degree air been blown at 80% humidity is bad and if it is cold enough, will cause frost on the inside of the glass.

Wrong. Cold ac is still warmer then the out side.

And wrong. I said it doent block it that much. Obviously it impedes air to a certain extent. If your ac is not on your condensor is not blocking air flow that much.if it did then you would over heat.