AC compressor

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Since just the other day ive been hearing a scraping noise that is noticeably loud on cold start up and quiets down, but still persists once the car has been running for a while.

i believe this sound is coming from the ac compressor. some times, but not all the time, the noise will stop all together when i turn the AC on.

has anyone had any problem like this before? is it very difficult to remove the pully and clutch while the compressor is installed on the engine?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It sounds like the clutch pulley is going bad. The two halves of the pulley are scraping on each other. When you turn the A/C on, it locks the clutch, the two halves spin together, and no scraping.

They're not terribly hard to take off. You just need to go find a new pulley. Check the Toyota dealership and see how much they cost. I have a 2JZ compressor lying around somewhere, and I think they're the same part.

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
If the engine is in the car you have to remove the power steering line, the stud from the block, and all the mounting bolts. We also had to loosen the front sway bar to drop the compressor out.