Abs!? Who needs brakes.... :[

OK, so i just completed the rebuild on my 89, NA. The motor start up was good, and everything was running great. I take it out for a spin. I hit the brakes, and the pedal went straight to the floor. Pulled it back in, and it started running funny.....so, i revved it up some and it cleared up....This reminded me of when my master cylinder took a dump on me and filled up the brake booster. Then dumped into the engine every time i hit brakes...BUT, i double checked everything on the engine....and nothing was wrong.....no codes, timing was correct, etc....when you pump the brakes while running, it starts to idle funny and not run correctly.....a few revs, and it's good to go......Is the master cylinder bad/ going bad?

Now my other question is, how to a bleed an ABS system. All my other supras, have been non abs. So maybe i did something wrong... I figured the car had to be running, or at least on the "On" position. But when my friend held the brake pedal after pumping, i commenced the bleeding....but only A small Dribble came out, so i figured the line was full of air. Pump, after pump, after pump. Still nothing. Started the car. Same thing. Then i left the drain screw loose and told him to pump it. It went everywhere....so i know it was getting pressure....but where the heck was it going... :[

Oh and i noticed my brake lights won't shut off now...Weird :[

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Idle weird from brakes, yep, sounds like the brake booster (or a charging system issue from the brake lights). Pull (or pinch if you have the special pliers) the vac line that goes to it and see if it still does it. To test the master, push the pedal and hold it. Does it slowly go down?

I used a rebuild kit and replaced the gasket between the master and booster. It fixed it from idling funny when i push the brakes, but every once in a while, if you drive around, and come to a stop, it wants to idle funny, like a v8 again, just like when it had the master cylinder problem. Rev it up some, it skips a little, then smooths back out. Could this be a faulty booster?

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
$250 for a master? idk where the hell your getting your parts but they a re ripping you off. go to autozone spend less than $100 and get a lifetime warranty. but if you replace the master doint forget about the adjusting rod that comes out of the booster, a new master will have a slightly different detent in it for the rod. and as far as bleeding an ABS system you start at the brake farthest from the ABS pump, not the master. so DRIVER REAR, PASSENGER REAR, DRIVER FRONT, PASS FRONT.