A340E Auto transmission question... dropping out of OD & 3rd.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
No particular speed, no particular RPM, no particular elapsed time driving down the road. Just started it recently, thought it was a question of low fluid due to a transmission leak (leak has been fixed. I think), but it's still happening even with good fluid level. No CEL indicator, no blinking O/D light or problem with gears 1 or 2. I'll just be cruising down the road and blip, engine races with no acceleration or engine braking when I let off the pedal. If I shut down and restart it'll be fine for a while, then drop out again.

Looked through the TSRM, but none of the descriptions in the troubleshooting area seemed to describe the specific problem. So if anyone has experienced this problem before and has some suggestions about fixing it I'd be grateful. TIA.

Mark

AdrenalineOD

One helluva lucky noob
Jan 14, 2010
Napa, California, United States
I've got this same problem, it feels like it happens more when I'm just cruising at steady rpm than when im actually accelerating. Mine feels like it simply disengages altogether, rpm goes up and momentum falters but only for a second before popping back into O/D. Sometimes it will happen 10-15 times in rapid succession but its pretty rare. I thought it might be torque converter related? My tranny wont engage out of a stop unless i manually shift (starting down at L) and I almost never get to 2 anymore, just jumps straight to the D gear. On the blue-moon chance that I hit 2nd its a long, strained shift from L.