A Starting Issue

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
Cape Coral,FL and Jamaica
OK guys i have done a little searching and cannot really pin point the issue i am having. Have my car in the garage all the time (not like it matters) and if i do not drive the car for a while it has trouble starting. I have changed spark plugs about a month or so with some NGK copper 6's they were brand new and free so i installed them, and gaped them to .32. Now here is the issue, if i take out the plugs and install them back the car turns on like nothing ever happen. Did anyone have this issue ?

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
jetjock;1958269 said:
Not cranking or not starting? Post is confusing Mon...

Lol sorry. It cranks but does not turn over. Now if I take out the spark plugs and put them back in the car turns on every time.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
SupraSean;1958319 said:
possible plug wire issue?

it strange the plugs are fine when i take them out. Should i try gaping them from .32 to lower?

jetjock;1958329 said:
Actually, "turn over" means cranking. Least where I'm from. Anyway, since you imply this happens when cold you could have a CSI problem. May also be a CPS problem that gets fixed when messing with the plugs.

ahh sorry. wouldn't if there was a problem with the CPS it would throw a code? I get no codes. Once i pull out the plugs and install them again the idles and running perfect. It just happens when i leave the car for more then a week without starting it.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Yeah, there would be a code. Next time use some ether, inject a little fuel through the brake booster fitting, or jump the fuel pump on in the diag block for 15 or so seconds before cranking. If it fires right up you'll know which direction to go.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
The one thing you move when changing the plugs is the coil pack. I wonder if your harness to the coil pack could have a intermitten open and when you remove it to take out the spark plugs. That harness cost about $30 -40 from dealer or Driftmotion. And, you are saying that you are not changing the spark plugs. Just R & R the same spark plugs? Also check the ground wire on the coilpack that goes to the stud next to the drivers side cam cover. Not so sure I would pour fuel down the vacuum hose from brake booster. There are other ways to add fuel. Just my two cents.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I meant the fitting on the manifold, not the hose. It's an easy access point for spraying starting fluid, carb cleaner, etc if he doesn't want to use fuel but yeah, there are other, slower ways. The ground you mentioned will not prevent spark...

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
jetjock;1958339 said:
Yeah, there would be a code. Next time use some ether, inject a little fuel through the brake booster fitting, or jump the fuel pump on in the diag block for 15 or so seconds before cranking. If it fires right up you'll know which direction to go.

thanks for the tip.

super51fan;1958391 said:
The one thing you move when changing the plugs is the coil pack. I wonder if your harness to the coil pack could have a intermitten open and when you remove it to take out the spark plugs. That harness cost about $30 -40 from dealer or Driftmotion. And, you are saying that you are not changing the spark plugs. Just R & R the same spark plugs? Also check the ground wire on the coilpack that goes to the stud next to the drivers side cam cover. Not so sure I would pour fuel down the vacuum hose from brake booster. There are other ways to add fuel. Just my two cents.

Yes i have not changed the plugs since the new ones. I did add fuel and did the same thing. Maybe its the ground because i am not seeing one there by the coil pack at all.

jetjock;1958396 said:
I meant the fitting on the manifold, not the hose. It's an easy access point for spraying starting fluid, carb cleaner, etc if he doesn't want to use fuel but yeah, there are other, slower ways. The ground you mentioned will not prevent spark...

Thanks for the help....

I ended up pulling all the plugs out and gaped them to .32 maybe some of the plugs were gaped at .30. Anyway she fired up instantly.

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
jetjock;1958986 said:
Unfortunately that could not have been the problem. Be careful where you take the car lest it strand you...

Yes I know lol I hardly drive the car anyway I drive it around the block and in the garage. Bad coil maybe ?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2