A simple question

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I searched and haven't found anything info on this. (just probably don't know what to search for) But the shop that I plan on taking my block to do a rebuild doesn't do anything with the rods. I have been reading that shotpeening is a needed step when rebuilding but I can't find anyone to do it. Would buying forged rods override that step? Also, is forged rods on OEM pistons a good idea?

Joey

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Stock rods are shotpeened already. (Can see it in the texture of the surface if you look closely.)
p958459_1.jpg

I'd reccomend using ARP bolts on stock rods. (Notice the thousands of small dimples in the metal, even over the forging flash area? That's from being shot peened at the factory that produced the rods for Toyota. They were peened, and then machined, so you have some areas with smoother metal, but more peening will not really do much in my opinion, but it will make your rods look dimpled everywhere, and you will have to re-size/hone the bores at a minimum as peening can/does raise the metal up some, and changes these critical dimensions.. If they peen your rods, make sure they clamp the caps down tight, or it will screw up the rods! That joint where the cap and the rod come together is pretty dang critical, and peening it will screw it up very fast.)
p958459_2.jpg

I'd reccomend having the rods checked for being square, round on both ends, and the right distance between bores. (IE: Are not streatched or squished at all, are true to 90 degrees and not twisted or bent and the bores are not out of round...)

On the pin side, they can press out, replace and hone the pin bores if they are not round.
On the rod bearing side, any rod that is out of spec, should be replaced in my view. (I've never seen one, unless it was toasted by a bad rod knock, that was not still round and true actually. They are pretty tough rods from the factory.)

Additional shot peening seems like a waste of your good money to me.

Cryo treatment might be worth it?

The weak point of this rod is the stock bolt, and then the drilled oil hole/squirter in the shoulder... (And it's loss of oil pressure right where you need it the most... )

The stock rods are pretty good for engines under 500hp, and that will see stock RPM limits in my view.

Some have made more than 500hp, but others have seen failures at less, but not much less. ;)

My rods are now from Pauter, and have no such holes.. also my rods are custom sized for 2" bearings from a 327SBC. This is a smaller rod journal than the stock 7M. The rods in the stroker motor are also 6" long, slightly more than the stock 7M rods too.

I do not know of anyone who has removed, or plugged the oil squirter hole on the rods, but it might not be such a bad idea to find some way to either put the bearings in with no hole going anywhere, or putting a plug into the hole with some serious loctite. :) You can just barely see the hole in the top photo, in the upper part of the rod bore, just a shiny spot in the bearing surface area, but that hole runs up through the shoulder of the rod, and weakens it slightly, but as noted, is a leak for oil pressure on this critical part.

Good luck Joey. :)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Oh, on the other part of your PM, using stock pistons is no problem, but it depends more on what your power goals are when chosing rods and pistons.

At a minimum, I would reccomend coatings for stock pistons. (These can be done on a budget too.) The piston crown thermal barrier coating is the most important. It protects the piston from detonation much better than a uncoated piston can. (Even as the stock pistons are nickle plated on the crowns..)

No piston is fail proof, but if your coated piston crown holds up to a poor state of tune even one time, it's worth what you spent in time and money to do the coating.

Check out this place. The coating you want is called CBX. It reflects heat back into the combustion chamber, and away from the piston. It also spreads out the heat evenly over the surface of the piston, helping to avoid hot spots, and pre-ignition. This stuff works equally well on combustion chambers and exhaust valves. (I did one head where we left the valves in, used a stock gasket to mask/template off the head, and coated the combustion chambers and valve faces with CBX.. It worked fine, and did not flake off, or cause any problems.) The key here is cleaning up the head when your done sand blasting it. I would reccomend masking off the entire head not being painted, and do it before you sand blast the combustion chambers too. The less allumium oxide you have to clean out, the better. Then a few dips in the sonic cleaning tank after sand blasting, and some pressure washing time is good to flush out any debris that might be hiding. Then coat the chambers, and remove the masking tape, and gasket/template. Then bake at the 350f temp Techline reccomends.

Now your piston crowns, and combustion chambers will be protected from heat as much as possible, and all that heat will go right out the exhaust port and manifold, to be used by your turbo to make more power. :) Not a bad trade off for the time spent on this if you have access to a sand blaster, and some basic painting stuff.

Techlinecoatings.com

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
First Of All, Thanks FOr the Coating Advice Adjuster!

And also Would you recommend getting the stock rods magnafluxed, my machinist
told me it's up to me.