a perfectly fine running 1jz just went dead... need help

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
hey guys needs some further insight.

my buddies 1jz isn't starting. cranks over fine but doesn't start. it was running fine before he went on vacation and when he came back it wouldn't run. all fuses and relays are fine. don't think fuel is reaching the cylinder.

tried to listen but couldn't really hear the fuel pump come on and i saw no Fuel pressure on the AFPR. i tried jumping b+ to the FP terminal and nothing happened. i ran a direct wire from the battery to the fuel pump connector and it turned on and fuel pressure jump up, tried cranking it with the fuel pump on and nothing.

pulled out my noid light and no injector pulse. sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it sputtered and wanted to turn on finally. so it does have spark.

we tried another known working jza70 ecu, map sensor, FP relay, main relay and ignitor. again all fuses are perfect.

general info of the car.
mk3 supra
1jzgte
r154
mine's tunes jza70 ecu
stock tunes
370cc injectors
18 psi.
aeromotive afpr

any ideas or theories are welcome.

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
How long was the car down? It might be bad gas, if not check cam and crank sensors.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
check for +12v on all injector plugs with the key in "on" position.

I would suspect a bad ignition key that directly feeds the injectors with +12v.... and its the power-supply to Fuel - and Circuit Opening relays.

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
87supraguy;1956856 said:
hey guys needs some further insight.

my buddies 1jz isn't starting. cranks over fine but doesn't start. it was running fine before he went on vacation and when he came back it wouldn't run. all fuses and relays are fine. don't think fuel is reaching the cylinder.

tried to listen but couldn't really hear the fuel pump come on and i saw no Fuel pressure on the AFPR. i tried jumping b+ to the FP terminal and nothing happened. i ran a direct wire from the battery to the fuel pump connector and it turned on and fuel pressure jump up, tried cranking it with the fuel pump on and nothing.

pulled out my noid light and no injector pulse. sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it sputtered and wanted to turn on finally. so it does have spark.

we tried another known working jza70 ecu, map sensor, FP relay, main relay and ignitor. again all fuses are perfect.

general info of the car.
mk3 supra
1jzgte
r154
mine's tunes jza70 ecu
stock tunes
370cc injectors
18 psi.
aeromotive afpr

any ideas or theories are welcome.

from what you said, it sounds like a fuel pump. or power to it.. so use a multimeter or a check light to see if you have power going to the pump wires if so replace the pump and try again.. or did what you did again (hot wire the pump straight to the battery and spray starting fulid in the intake and try to start) see if starts.. but sounds like a bad pump.