A new manual transmission is in town... The 'V154' !

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
SupraClaou;2004440 said:
I still think that with the correct and proper parts like clutch kit, trans.shifter, trans./engine mountings, trans. oil, gear changes and operation
without misusing......and a stock and healthy R154 could hold around 1000 HP on the street (no strip or drag racing) and highway!

And this is what I am going to test adding some tricks to it...

Some very important tips for big HP guys using the robust R transmission :
- Keep the car weight as low as possible, a 3300-3400 lbs is ideal and possible for a daily mk3 with A/C, power everything,etc.
- As you know torque is what will kill the R154, so we can get around 1000 hp with moderate torque numbers like 700lbs using big 76mm turbos instead of 67mm and 800lbs.
(unfortunately a 7M will produce more torque than a JZ engine cause of the higher stroke. 7M could hit 700lbs of torque with only 800hp)
- Using the stock oem driveshaft with the center bearing. This way the shock vibrations to the drivetrain/trans will be less than a one piece shaft
- Keep the revs of the engine under 8500 rpms, cause the R154 can't handle more than that...gears won't engage past that point.

And then it might hold, this is what I think and these are my thoughts. In no way I do not think this is a 100% safe way to do that...
So , it is still a risk at that power level ;-)

Good luck but my brother shredded 3rd gear mid pull. It wasn't banging gears that killed it. Hardtop car, fidanza flywheel, and a CF driveshaft which helps to absorb the hit. Until someone makes a stronger gear ($$$$$), I just dont see it holding much more power. I'll be abusing a Jack's stage 3 R154 in a month at 700 - 750 wheel. I hope it holds up!

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
has anyone had success with different metal treatment on the stock gears, ie stop peen/ cryo treated? Im guessing factors such as sprung and unsprung clutches will also depend on how much power you can put down. From what ive seen its shock load that does these transmissions in.

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
steveyblack;2004910 said:
has anyone had success with different metal treatment on the stock gears, ie stop peen/ cryo treated? Im guessing factors such as sprung and unsprung clutches will also depend on how much power you can put down. From what ive seen its shock load that does these transmissions in.

This is my opinion so take it for what it is worth. If the fix was that easy then i feel that vendours would be offering those services. Once again, that is my opinion so i could be completely off track. All in all, its a good solution to bring up.

Personally, guys and gals, we just need to face it that the R154 and v160 are becoming relics. We need to start thinking proactively towards a stout, proven transmission. I know many members have had success with the R154 but babying it isn't the ideal answer. And just swapping out another R154 isn't a great plan either when you look into your build as a long term perspective. By that, it makes no sense rebuilding 2 transmissions or keeping a back up when you can just spend the same amount of money of that investment and instead just have one badass tranny. Now, if that tranny breaks, it is due to driver error. We need a transmission that can take a beating just like the v160s in the mk4. Please note that eventually, there will not be any more r154s to pick up. Now speaking of the v160,granted, it's been a huge success especially if your car is a mk4 but for (mk3) us its has some serious drawbacks: 1) price, 2) swapping in complete driveline(diff n tranny to do it right) and 3) availability.

Last edited: