A follow up to hatch struts 1986.5 Supra

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
I put spoiler on my 1986.5 Supra and found out the old struts can not support the weight of the hatch. I installed a pair of AMS4327, and these struts really support the hatch very nicely. Installing the struts was really a lot work, I had to remove all the plastic and rear seat to access the strut bracket bottom nuts, thanks to Toyota engineers. To avoid to go through this pain again I decided to weld two M8x1.25 nuts under the frame on each side so in the future it won't be necessary to tear up the car to install new struts. It should be mentioned that the bracket bolts should be Hex head bolts . AMS4327 comes with nice bottom brackets and hardware therefore there is no need for the originals. To install the struts has to be compressed 2" for easy installation. I compressed the struts and held it in position with a piece of fence wire with a loop at top and bottom long twist in the middle, The long twist can be gradually undone until the struts reach correct extension for installation. I am sure there are other ways to do this such as connecting the top rod and walk the bottom but I did not want to damage the paint. When I started researching this subject I was surprised that I could not find much information, so I hope this post be help to fellow supra owners and thanks to all who responded to my original post.

p2057988_1.jpg
Original Bracket
p2057988_2.jpg
Welded Nuts
p2057988_3.jpg
New Bracket

jshjuarez

Aug 31, 2015
This is a great idea what would be alternative to welding the bolts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk