a few 2jzgte vvti problems i have

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
the first problem i posted in another thread and thought i fixed is still there. the 2j is getting too hot. not going all the way to the high side of the temp guage,but about 3/4 maybe a little more from the hot side. things i have done"

pulled thermostat "removed guts"
added 3 row radiator
added 2- 12" electric fans
did a pressure check to make sure coolant was not leaking and/or busted headgasket.

i did notice today that one of the hoses connecting to the heater core has a decent kink in it,enough to reduce the diameter by 1/2. so i will be deleting the heater core for now and then see what that does for me. if the problem persists i will be removing the a/c condenser to help the radiator get better air flow from the front,then adding water wetter...after that i am lost. i do not think a clutch fan will fit with the 3 row radiator in there..it is pretty tight as is.

second issue -

i have a slight miss,not sure if there are any common issues with misses or not,but i have not found anything via search engine.things i have done.

checked all connections on top end that i could get to
checked all grounds
checked vac lines
checked all ic clamps and couplings
also sprayed a little started fluid with engine running to see if intake gaskets or anything else was sucking air.
replaced spark plugs/gapped

not really sure where to go from there besides doing it all over again and hopeing i missed something. harness is from dr.tweak so i doubt it is the issue.

3rd problem/issue-

i noticed that the first time i drive the car every day it seems to get boost really fast. i can hear the turbo start spooling at maybe 1200rpm. now if i keep it below 3500 rpm it will continue to boost like that. but once i go over 3500 rpm and stop or slow down below that i wont feel boost again until i get back to 3500..even if i come to a complete stop and take off again,i will get no boost until 3500.

i did read that there is something that at 3500rpm opens and allows the 2nd turbo to spool also. could it be possible that it is whats causing me to not feel boost until 3500 after first spin of the day? it doesnt matter if i start it up and leave the driveway,or if i start it,let it run for 20 minutes and leave the same thing happens.

as usual,any and all help is much appreciated.thank you.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it's getting hot from slow speeds or when slowing from highway it's the fans.

Miss what plugs and and gap? Coils good?

Both have you performed a compression test. A leak down test or a block test?

For the boost you would have to check with the valve system in the exhaust.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
It is getting hot at highway speeds.80mph. Cools petectly fine at lower speeds.I have tried toggling on and off the fans at. That speed just gets hot faster.

Plugs are ngk,gapped to us 2j specs.not sure on part number,will look this afternoon.

Compression test has not been done since I bought the engine. Had 165-170 accross the board from what I remember. Engine maybe has 100 miles on it since install.

The test I did was where you pressurized the cooling system and see if it leaks down.

Not sure what the test is that you are talking about for the boost issue? What is it,what do I need to do? Thanks .

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
Will also check coils to see if they are sparking good...missed very little at idle maybe once every 5 to 10 seconds. Is there any specific way to test them? Ive always done it the old school way..pull it out ,put a plug in it and see if the spark is weak or strong.