A couple issues with a new to me 87 turbo

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Hey guys, just recently found myself in the possession of a 1987 turbo with 162000 miles, decent condition and runs well for the most part, just a couple little issues. First off, the te1 to e circuit doesn't seem to work so I can't check my codes, however the check engine light still turns on when the key is on. I think the car might have a stored code, but thus far I can't seem to coax it out. 😒

Second issue, likely discoverable if the first is fixed, is that I have a hard start issue when cold. The car turns over fine but wants to stall. I give it gas and it runs roughy for 10-45 seconds and then clears up and idled fine. Though it still seems to rev a lot slower then my NA supra did. Has plenty of power just slow throttle response.

Third issue, also likely to be solved via issue 1, is really crappy gas mileage. My NA used to get 19-22, this turd is getting 13-15 currently. Is it possibly an o2 sensor issue? And is there a way to test that?

Thanks for any and all help,😃

Ian

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its te1 to e1. E1 is just ground so try grounded te1 to battery ground.

And no bad o2 will not cause that. Could be cold start injector or its time switch tho.

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Sorry was on my phone and missed the 1 ha ha, will try that though. How would I go about testing the cold start injector?

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Thanks hopefully I'll have time tommorow to check out the diagnostic port, and start cracking down on the other issues

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
So I grounded te1 and I still got nothing. Check engine light is on when the key is in the on position, but no flashy flashy.�� any other ideas?