a/c questions

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
after reading the other a/c thread i thought id ask a couple of questions on my system.

the light comes on at the dash board. however the compressor clutch wont engage. apparently if the system goes low on gas it trigers a fault code??

i dont have any.

i dont think i can see anything in the sight glass. what am i looking for there?

whats a drier/receiver?

i was gonna whip mine up to a local place to check it for leaks etc as its quite cheap.

i always thought we couldnt put the newer sort of refrigerant in our systems. guess u guys are managing ok with it though so i dont see why not.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
AC will not trigger any fault codes. If low on freon or if the system pressure is too high (from a blockage) then the compressor will not kick on or performance will be degraded.

You wont see anything in the sight glass until you get refidgerant flowing through it. It will be mostly clear when operating properly.

The drier/reciever is the black or aluminum canister located behind your coolant overflow bottle.

This will help explain basic operation.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AC&P=9

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
ok i just checked ebay out. i can buy a new receiver/dryer for like £33

they do cans of r134a on there aswell for like a tenner. ive never seen these in any shops before. it comes with leak stopper and oil aswell,

is that the sort of stuff u guys use? I would just replace the dryer and fill it with that stuff?

might be best if i first got the system checked out under pressure i supose