A/C inop after electric fan conversion

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
Hello everyone, I haven't been active on here for years, but I'm hoping someone might have a solution to my issue.

Probably 4-5 years ago I installed and wired in some electric fans to a switching thermistor. The fans have been working wonderfully for cooling the car, they turn on and off when they're supposed to. The problem I'm having, is right after I removed the original fan setup, the A/C wouldn't engage. The compressor clutch never engages. I understand that their needs to be proper airflow through the condenser, and normally the two small original fans would turn on immediately when the a/c is commanded on. My thought is that the HVAC system needs to see the fans turn on before engaging the compressor clutch.

Any help would be appreciated.

'90 gte 5-speed if that matters.

Thank you.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The clutch does not need the fans to be on although it may shut off after a while without them. Assuming the AC button illuminates check the 10 amp AC fuse, the 15 amp CIG fuse, and the dual pressure switch as there must be sufficient refrigerant in the system for it operate. And fwiw the small fans should not turn on with the AC. They come on only when refrigerant pressure or coolant temp exceed a certain level. Lastly, the engine does not need to be running for the clutch to energize.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Lol no, not PDR. May need one though. Right now I'm staying on a friend's ranch SE of Dallas but will be heading north as soon as the action starts. Like many pilots I'm a bit of a weather freak. That and I got bored with Chernobyl. :icon_razz

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
jetjock;2073917 said:
Lol no, not PDR. May need one though. Right now I'm staying on a friend's ranch SE of Dallas but will be heading north as soon as the action starts. Like many pilots I'm a bit of a weather freak. That and I got bored with Chernobyl. :icon_razz

I'm over just northwest of Fort Worth. It's looking like the proverbial shit is about to hit the fan weather wise.