"91 Supra vs. 2010ish E class Benz in the twisties...

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
UPDATE: Turned out to be a 2010ish CLS AMG. Cliffnotes: While driving through some twisty roads I had a run in with a late model 4dr E Class Mercedes. I tried to put up a challenge, but he was too much for me. He left me in the dust numerous times.

I was out on an early morning drive through the farm roads. As I'm going through this Mercedes was pulling out of his neighborhood just behind me. He quickly jumps on my tail. I was doing about 55mph (speed limit 50mph) and some 35mph turns were coming up. I thought to myself, "Lets see how his luxobarge does 55 throught these turns." As we go through them he is right on my ass.

This guy obviously know the road and his car, so I decided to find a spot to let him go around me. As I put my hazards on and move to the side he roars around me. Now I'm behind him and on his tail. I want to see what he can do, so I'm following him closely approaching some tight turns. I'm not really looking at my speedometer, but I know we were come up on these turns pretty fast. First turn we go through my front tires scream, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" I had to let up as he kept going. This guy was running away from me. By the third curve I couldn't see him anymore. After we broke through those tight turns and hit the long swooping curves I still couldn't see him. He was gone!

A little embarrased, I kept on thinking he's nowhere to be found. I started to approach the next series of tight turns. Low and behold he was waiting for me doing around 20mph. When I got near him he took off like a scalded dog. I again tried to follow him, but once again he ran from me like I wasn't even trying. By the second turn I couldn't see him. And again, when we got out of the tight turns into the open road I coudln't see him.

I continued pretending that shit just didn't happen again. I was just cruising it now. Up ahead there he was. For the thrid time he slowed down for me. I can imagine him looking through his rear view mirror laughing at me. I figured he hadn't had enough so I gave it one more go. I was on his ass like white on rice. Tires screaming for dear life, car nearly sliding off the road at times. I wasn't going to let him get the best of me again. Well, I was wrong. I don't have to tell you the rest of the story, cause you can guess what happened. For the third time he hung me upside down and shook my lunch money right out of me. How could this have happened?

Well, I have some ricer excuses of my own.
#1. I'm not confident in my tire set up. Nitto 555r 245/50/16's in the rear, Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 205/50/16's up front. I know, I know... that's what I had in the garage for front tires just sitting there so I decided to use them until I got proper sized tires. That day hasn't came yet because of money constraints.

#2. Old ass worn out stock suspension. I don't have money to upgrade that department either.

#3. I'm not too familiar with that road. Some areas looked dangerous. It can use a re-pave as well.

#4. The sun was in my eyes at certain spots.

#5. More importantly, I'm not confident in my driving skills either. There... I said it.

I'll get him next time. There will be a next time!

Last edited:

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
id rather loose than bin my car! at least you are man enough to tell the tale. FWIW i really noticed an improvement with the adjustable sway bars on my car. But I have been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to know nothing about how a supra feels so take it with a grain of salt.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
scottiedawg66;1901926 said:
id rather loose than bin my car! at least you are man enough to tell the tale. FWIW i really noticed an improvement with the adjustable sway bars on my car. But I have been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to know nothing about how a supra feels so take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I wasn't about to push my car off the road to prove a point. My car suffers from gross understeer, so when I feel it push a little I'll slow it down a little. I just couldn't keep up with him. I've been wanting to get a fresh set of tires on all fours, and some sway bars. Put my drag radials on some steelies, and store them until dragstrip day. I wish I had the money to do so.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
20+ year old Stock suspension, you aren't going to win. Even with new parts, keeping up would be tricky, and if he's got upgraded suspension, forget it.

Even though the Supra was excellent handling for the late 80's, it's still almost 3000 lbs of car.

I used to tell my friends back in my NA days that I'd win the race that counts. The one to get to the bathroom after 12+ hours in the driver's seat.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Dan_Gyoba;1901976 said:
20+ year old Stock suspension, you aren't going to win. Even with new parts, keeping up would be tricky, and if he's got upgraded suspension, forget it.

Even though the Supra was excellent handling for the late 80's, it's still almost 3000 lbs of car.

I used to tell my friends back in my NA days that I'd win the race that counts. The one to get to the bathroom after 12+ hours in the driver's seat.

Lol I think he means its almost 4,000lbs of car :) if you include driver. But either way yes you need some upgraded suspension to keep up. I know your car has the power for it.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
Holy moly, I just realized you have 205s up front. With a better suspension and tires your confidence will improve drastically. If it were me I'd do tires first, assuming your suspension is sound, something wider with a low profile for sure.

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I was talking to my brother about what happened today. He educated me about Mercedes today. He showed me pics and I pointed out what handed me my ass. It turned out to be a 2010ish CLS AMG. I feel a little better about my ass kicking.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Suprapowaz!(2);1902004 said:
I was talking to my brother about what happened today. He educated me about Mercedes today. He showed me pics and I pointed out what handed me my ass. It turned out to be a 2010ish CLS AMG. I feel a little better about my ass kicking.

I dont... You made us look bad.... You need some proper suspesion m8..... And some confidence in your driving m8....
Watch this and then try again....
[video=youtube;kP2uq9wLUNY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP2uq9wLUNY[/video]

Next time you are facing this 2010 ish car you will own him but do not forget to talk about everything that is happening as you are racing him. Like this, " This mercedes had me last time but this time things will change, I can tell he has experience on this road because he is flowing with the wind. If he makes this turn too soon I can overtake if the mk3 does not blow a headgasket. He can lead for now but he will make a mistake and thats when I shall pass him. Perhaps when he is waiting for me after the first run I can fly by him and show him I am not scared"..... Yeah.... Do it!... Go now! Wake him up and gooo race him...

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
sside;1902007 said:
next time you are facing this 2010 ish car you will own him but do not forget to talk about everything that is happening as you are racing him. Like this, " this mercedes had me last time but this time things will change, i can tell he has experience on this road because he is flowing with the wind. If he makes this turn too soon i can overtake if the mk3 does not blow a headgasket. He can lead for now but he will make a mistake and thats when i shall pass him. Perhaps when he is waiting for me after the first run i can fly by him and show him i am not scared"..... Yeah.... Do it!... Go now! Wake him up and gooo race him...

INITIAL D style :)

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
DAMMIT! Why didn't I watch Initial D before heading out for that drive?! Next I will, and I WILL over take his ass drifting around him. Thanks Sside, that's the push I needed. I'm going to park and wait for him next time I'm out there. I'll show him who the drift king is!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Sside;1901968 said:
Is your car stock?

No, it's some goodies. Upgraded fuel, Intercooler with hardpipes, T4 Garrett 60trim sitting on an ebay manifold backed by 3in exhaust. Ran a best of 13.16 @ 108.72mph. That CLS AMG runs 12's, so I wouldn't even have a chance on a straight road. The more I looked into it that car dominates me in every catagory.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
Nice hanging in with the AMG man. some euro cars handle incredibly well considering their weight.

With some wider tires, Sway bars, shocks+springs and you will be amazed at how quick your car will take the turns.

I actually have a few aftermarket suspension parts im looking to get rid of if youre interested -- PM ill give you a good deal :icon_bigg

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
wore out suspension is enough alone to do it.... but 205 tires up front?!?! damn dude. my 87 with brand new shocks and original springs (shocks put on by previous owner, I would have done springs too) 230+k miles. That hardtop handled like the biggest turd piece compared to my 89 targa w/ 110,000 on original suspension. (both cars had 225's) That 89 would just hook and squat through the turns... way faster than you would expect.

@ dan 3,000lbs?!?!?! my 89 targa was very close to 4,000 w/ fuel + driver (I weigh 145lbs)

keep in mind the 87 I had was ~ 500 lbs lighter

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I know. I hit the wrong number. I do actually know what my car weighs. :p

I still say that without some serious upgrades, you aren't going to spend much time hanging with the AMG. MAYBE in a Mk4. With upgrades.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Yeah, I didn't hang with that AMG. He ate my lunch... three times. It was no way near a competition. He flat out ran from me every time. Even with suspension upgrades, and damn good tires I'd still be down on power from that car. It was fun nonetheless.