91 sup-t vs mr2 bone stock

turbo soup

Nov 1, 2006
MD
so im on my way to work when i see this mr2 ahead of me with the raised back hood, i was like oooooo turbos!!!!! so i speed up and get right next to him to say whuts up, he ignores me and i just go on my merry way. so later down the road he catches up to me tailing me as i speed away, i was like coool this mofo must finally be awake, its like 9 in the morning... so we talk a little he tells me his shit is bone stock and he got it for dirt cheap. i was like sweeet and i tolled him to take off. first gear we were neck and neck then when i get to about 5k rpm and my shit stops pulling and hes already in second, i hit redline shift to 2nd and hes to far away for me to catch up... hee flies by two cars on his right and passes these huge dump trucks in the slow lane that ended up blocking me, then in the opposite direction a cop comes flying down the road, close call but good time. long story short i got owned...
mr2 had 130k miles vs my 158k sup on original turbo that takes forever to boost....
my car is bone stock cept for suspension mods and a cone air intake filter. running maybe 5-6 lbs in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and finnaly in forth and fifth ill hit around 7-8 lbs
let me know what you guys think

turbo soup

Nov 1, 2006
MD
whoa!!! really????? dudes its takes me like 3500rpm to hit boost on my ct26
is there anyway it could be the turbo????? or maybe just a leak somewhere, its just takes a while to spoool like a long while =(
i was gonna crank up the boost the weekend with my home made home depot boost controller... maybe while im installing it il find the leak?????

turbo soup

Nov 1, 2006
MD
any supra dudes want to help a brother out and take a look at my car just let me know im here in moco. md baby

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
you sure your not just taking your POS stock boost guage to seriously, my stock guage would just kind of take a coffee break and read positive boost after i'd already hit 3800rpm when i know it kicked in at 2k.

check your IC pipes, or you can crank up the boost and just blow the SOAB out now, when you hit fuel cut you'll know that was your problem and finding a big gaping hole or a disconnected hose will be easier to find.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
The stock boost gauge is hella slow, don't use that as a reference. Since you're nearly stock, you probably won't be able to hear the turbo spool much. A full flowing Downpipe will work wonders on the car, the stock turbo elbow is a massive restriction if there ever was one.

turbo soup

Nov 1, 2006
MD
autometer boost gauge, i got the cone filter so i can hear the turbo spool really loud and the bov, im thinking my turbo is just mad old and fried... all good, i will check the piping this weekend and crank it up to 10psi, also gotta drop in my iridiumssssss and msd wiress woohoooo im afraid ill find my plugs soaked in oil, but well see

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
You just wasted good money on those iridiums IMO. Cranking up the boost is just going to kill a suspect turbo even faster. Check for boost leaks as that's what I would assume is wrong first.

turbo soup

Nov 1, 2006
MD
so in a properly running stock supra turbo i should have been able to take him off the line??? im confused i thought our cars were all highway stock

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Stock supra turbos and MR2 turbos are very very close in acceleration. Both run the 1/4 mile in the low 15's(some high 14's). And both have 1/4 mile trap speeds in the low 90's. Turbo soup, your car is definantly down on power if you got pulled like that by a stock MR2. I've driven both stock, and there is no way an MR2T is faster than a healthy MK3supra.