90 mk3 white smoke

hex.amilli

Oct 7, 2014
plus.google.com
Hey all, i just purchased a 1990 supra mk3. Has about 160km on the clock drives excellent does not over heart drove it about 500 km to bring it home the problem is when i first turn it on does not matter if the weather is hot or cold j get a whole lot of white smoke for about 5 min them is gone. Now my question is would that be the head gasket or a turbo gasket? Is it pull or coolant ultimately id my question.
Thanks in advance

www.TurboBuilds.com
All boost and TurboBuilds

90 BMW E30 Turbo
90 Supra MK3 Turbo

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Sounds like a blown head gasket to me. Burning coolant when the engine is cold. Then when warmed up and the metal expands, it's sealing off the leak so no more smoke. Just a theory. Are you losing coolant? Does the white smoke have a sweet smell? Could possibly be condensation burn-off in the exhaust, but shouldn't last 5 minutes and happen at each cold startup unless it's constantly parked outside in high humidity.

hex.amilli

Oct 7, 2014
plus.google.com
No not loosing any coolant at the moment and i haven't tried smelling it really and yes it only lasts about 5 min at idle and then its gone. Someone else mentioned it could be oil cause oils burns white and coolant burns blue is that true?

www.TurboBuilds.com
All boost and TurboBuilds

90 BMW E30 Turbo
90 Supra MK3 Turbo

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Other way around.
Oil is blueish, water/ coolant is white. If it IS the head gasket, and it only happens before the motor heats up and expands to seal it,
you might very well get lucky, and be able to just retorque the head back down. The bolts do sometimes loosen up. Proper torque should be around 70ft-lbs.
I wouldn't drive it much till I tried, though. It'll only get worse. That's assuming, of course, that the gasket IS the problem. But you already said that you're not losing any coolant.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sounds like valve stem seals.

Oil burning in small amounts tends to be white. Especially at idle when there isn't as much heat in the combustion chamber.

hex.amilli

Oct 7, 2014
plus.google.com
hvyman;2037155 said:
Sounds like valve stem seals.

Oil burning in small amounts tends to be white. Especially at idle when there isn't as much heat in the combustion chamber.
Thanks hvyman,

It turned out to be valve stems, just ordered new ones. I'm gonna try to tackle this on my own is there anything I should know about, beware of sorta thing?

90 BMW E30
90 SUPRA MK3

www.TurboBuilds.com
DREAM.BUILD.DRIVE

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Don't drop the valve in the cylinder and don't mix anything up. Put everything back in the same place you got it.