90 7mgte swap to 89 n/a chassis

boosted2085

I was spoolin :(
Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
ok well i ended up junking my 90 7mgte because i found an 89 N/A targa for dirt cheap.i kept the 90 auto ecu and engine harness,and went to put my harness in but the 3 extra connectors (besides the 3 that go to the ecu) have different connectors.I just read on 4cefed that 89 was a transition year so i need an 89 ecu and harness,ok fine,but my main concern was my dash lights,dome lights,turn signals and fogs wont work..

1)Do i need the 89 engine harness to get the dash,dome,turn signal and fogs to work?

2)im using a turbo dash in the n/a will that affect anything?

things that do work- locks,the light on the doors,headlights,door ajar on the dash,tail lights,park lights

***everything was working before i took out the n/a ecu,dash cluster and harness***

Last edited:

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
One of the plugs you were talking about that isnt hooked up should be the problem. If you could post a picture of the plugs not hooked (car side). I can tell you which one. I will check manual shortly and post the plug. I didnt think the fogs went thru there though.

Rich

boosted2085

Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
here the connectors the one that im holding is the only one that connects to the 90 harness...i thought the fog relay is under the passenger kick panel?...does it go to the main harness or does it connect to one of those 4 connectors?

**** I took out the whole heater core system(blower,heater core, and main control system behind the dash)so i know one of those connectors go to that system,I think lol

Attachments

• DSCF9003.jpg
    DSCF9003.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 6

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
Plug M1 has most of the wiring for the dash (gauges). Other stuff runs thru on the other side. So theres another problem.

Do you have your radio trim out with cig lighter and hazard switch unhooked?

I know the hazard switch not plugged in will stop the turn signals.

Check fuses.

Rich

boosted2085

Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
yeah the whole center console is out(cig lighter,ac control,radio)all disconnected.i took the fuse from the hazards temporarily to put the hid's in because one fuse was blown.

The m1 connector your refering to which one is it on the picture?...as far as getting readings on the gauges i won't know for a while because im still building the motor.I was jw about the dash lighting up because the door ajar works but the dash wont light up

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
Check the junction block on pass kick panel. There should be 4 harness to harness connectors somewhere close. Im not talking about the eng harness stuff.. One might be unhooked if you had the ac stuff out. They connect the junction box to dash harness.

Rich

boosted2085

Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
there 2 connectors that i disconnected but i know theyre from the blower...i guess ill have to wait till i get the 89 harness to see if anything else works...i gotta figure whats wrong with my fogs and dome lights since it doesnt have anything to do with the harness