89 turbo build and bhg repair

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
Sterling, Virginia, United States
ok so heres how it started bought the car back in October for $2800
got home realized it needed one knock sensor and the sensors rewired.
after doing that i replace a whole mess of hoses, oil, trans fluid, dif fluid, coolent, new rad, and new clutch fan
drove it till about march i wanna say it was and it kept hitting fuel cut at stock boost levels new something wasn't right took down the lower inter cooler piping and found a big crack down the side so i ended up replacing all of the piping with a CXracing 2.5 inch kit and an apexi intake
drove it at 10psi since been having fun
now the #1 solenoid is bad in the trans and the head-gasket is blown
so the plan is to pull the head get it machined and replace valve seals and check clearances and new Toyota head gasket with arp bolts
my dad worked for Toyota when these cars were new and did 21 head-gasket jobs in 21 days lol
so shouldn't be difficult
just wanted some tips and hints b4 i start pulling things apart
pics will be up soon
thanks
Justin

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

p1572167_1.jpg

p1572167_2.jpg

p1572167_3.jpg

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
91supran/a;1572167 said:
ok so heres how it started bought the car back in October for $2800
got home realized it needed one knock sensor and the sensors rewired.
after doing that i replace a whole mess of hoses, oil, trans fluid, dif fluid, coolent, new rad, and new clutch fan
drove it till about march i wanna say it was and it kept hitting fuel cut at stock boost levels new something wasn't right took down the lower inter cooler piping and found a big crack down the side so i ended up replacing all of the piping with a CXracing 2.5 inch kit and an apexi intake
drove it at 10psi since been having fun
now the #1 solenoid is bad in the trans and the head-gasket is blown
so the plan is to pull the head get it machined and replace valve seals and check clearances and new Toyota head gasket with arp bolts
my dad worked for Toyota when these cars were new and did 21 head-gasket jobs in 21 days lol
so shouldn't be difficult
just wanted some tips and hints b4 i start pulling things apart
pics will be up soon

thanks
Justin

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

p1572268_1.jpg

p1572268_2.jpg

p1572268_3.jpg

Are you going to have the block decked? Cause i don't think the MHG will seal if it isn't....other then that, ARP hardware all the way around, and a good quality torque bar, will be your best friend in the long run. Make sure your turbo checks out too cause they get cranky with anything other then stock boost.

Also replace exhaust with 3inch from the elbow back will release a lot of power.

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
no im going with a toyota headgaskit wanted to rebuild but dont have the cash right now..
i did plan on taking the rest of my tax return and doing a full 3inch but now this happend
i do plan on rebuilding the turbo and CPS while its all apart.
then this summer start doing the exhaust and so on..

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
ok heres the update worked on it for a few hours on saturday got everything done on intake side wire harness all unhooked... tonight finally got the turbo off hopeing to have the head off by tomorow
this is my first major car repair ive owned two mk3's so far this one being turbo and had a ruff life
will post pics of engine and turbo tomorow
for now heres what the fedex droped off today

turbo rebuild kit
p1575223_1.jpg

headgasket kit no i do not plan on useing the headgaskit from this kit...toyota all the way on that.
p1575223_2.jpg

new shift solenoids number one is bad in my trans
p1575223_3.jpg

ARP bolts (box says studs bought used)
p1575223_4.jpg

prosport water temp gauge looks great cant wait to see how it performance
p1575223_5.jpg

and my ash tray turbo timer installed and four LED lights for my AWshifting push butten shifting kit
p1575223_6.jpg

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
head is kinda scary looking have a thread under 7mgte tech if you guys have any advice
p1576951_1.jpg

p1576951_2.jpg

p1576951_3.jpg

p1576951_4.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

p1576951_5.jpg

p1576951_6.jpg

coolent? lol
p1576951_7.jpg

more pics of my pretty professional wiring im pretty pleased with it
p1576951_8.jpg

p1576951_9.jpg

p1576951_10.jpg

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
Thanks update is
talked to my machinest today and he can fix the head 150 bucks to fix the coolent passages and then 75 to resurface
his done several 7m heads the way he is going to do it... heating the head up and welding the coolent pasages

also got my cps rebuild kit today started by geting the gear off ground off the head a little bit and drove it out suporting it underneath with a 8mm socket worked great gonna finish it tomorow got my second sawblade striped and machine lines sanded out now just gotta polish it

gonna keep polishing my intake mani tomorow too
pics soon

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
heres the update so far ordered a new pigtail for the cps cause the one thats on it is split

2nd
head is unrepairable it has already had 21thousands takin off of it
so im buying a remand head from a guy on ebay called and talked to him for about 45min nice guy knows his shit he said he owns two mk3's himself and remanifactors heads everyday weather its a 7m or not
heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

not a bad price just saving up the cash to buy it and another thing i asked about the cams because from what i understood NA cams are difrent than turbo cams he said he was told that too and measured both side by side and found 0 difrences between the two

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The car looks nice. I like them clean and stock. Good to see you tackle all the things that are needed before buying a large turbo and intercooler.

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
yeah that is next on my list though after this 3inch turbo back.
than intercooler, oil cooler, and making stock oil cooler a PS cooler works great btw
then see how long my garage rebuild on my turbo holds up then 56 trim with 550s and lex afm

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
91supran/a;1579654 said:
then see how long my garage rebuild on my turbo holds up then 56 trim with 550s and lex afm

Noted Supra tuner and legend Reg Reimer used the HKS Sport turbo upgrade with the Lex meter/550's and no piggybacks. It can be done. He used an AFPR according to his website, and nothing more.

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
she runs guys sorry ive been so diligently working on the car really havent thought of posting pics... i ended up buying that head on the link on the first page 400 bucks beautiful work mirror finish on the surface exhaust already helicoiled trqd down to 85 foot pounds gonna do the retorqe at the end of the week my ? is should i go in the order of the book and one at a time break it loss and retrq it or just put the wrench on it and make sure its 85 ftibs? gonna throw a few pics up

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
91supran/a;1593926 said:
she runs guys sorry ive been so diligently working on the car really havent thought of posting pics... i ended up buying that head on the link on the first page 400 bucks beautiful work mirror finish on the surface exhaust already helicoiled trqd down to 85 foot pounds gonna do the retorqe at the end of the week my ? is should i go in the order of the book and one at a time break it loss and retrq it or just put the wrench on it and make sure its 85 ftibs? gonna throw a few pics up

Nice, Your gonna want to go through the factory torque sequence, do a 1/4 turn loosen then re-torque in the torque pattern.
That is key.

By the way, was the car originally a NA base model?
I noticed it doesn't have TEMS, IIRC all turbos were "sport packages" and thus had the TEMS suspension.

Sam

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
no i dont think so the vin comes up as turbo at toyota and state farm and dmv so... idk bout that one
heres a teaser pic
thanks for the tip too
p1593937_1.jpg

have more pics tomorow can find my cord for my phone too hook to my comp

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
one more ? b4 i crash noticed the car was smoking when i started it and the intire 10 min it ran it was smoking a bit my ? is when i primed my turbo the oil ended up in the exhaust side and intake side in like 5 hours local supra guy owned his since new said its normal his profesionaly rebuilt one did it and it lasted 6 years so i painted the hot side of the turbo with hight temp paint that smokes when it gets hot the first couple times to cure so do u think its a mix between the oil that was on the inside and the paint making it smoke?

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
yes sir it is my dad called the guy since his a toyota goru and brought up the fact that he thought the cams were difrent and the guy said his been rebuilding 7ms since the 90s and said his mesured both sets of cams multiple times and cant find a difrence far as ive been told thats the only difrence

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

one more then bed time my dad came up with the idea and i love it
my friend keep calling it the headless monster lol
p1593940_1.jpg

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
polished and regrounded
p1594914_1.jpg

cleaning and installing push button shifting
p1594914_2.jpg

polished vrs unpolished
p1594914_3.jpg

turbo being taken apart for rebuild
p1594914_4.jpg

turbo completely striped and btw anyone who wants to try to put new oil seals in one its pie i mean pie!
p1594914_5.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

sunshade i got off another car looks difrent then my kevinm one i had on my old supra it has a mounting plate that sticks to the window then it screws into it really wierd pain in the ass style to install but it sits up much higher then kevinm style and is larger and is solid black not transparent
p1594914_6.jpg

polished alternator
p1594914_7.jpg

head when i first opened the box but i can tell you this guy does great work dont have anymore pics of the head but the surface was mirror and the exhaust was helicoiled and everything simply bolt it on the cams are mirror no scars my old head taped when it was idleing cause of the scaring on the cams but this one the only thing u here is the injectors clicking and my blown powersteering pump lol
p1594914_8.jpg