89 to 88 interior compatability?

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
Ok this is actually a two-parter. Part one: I just bought an 89 non-targa shell (no motor/trans) with a grrrreat interior and no dash cracks!!!!!! And I'm curious what parts are swappable into a 88 targa? I plan on pulling them and trying anyway, I just was wondering if it was a futile attempt.

Part two: the guy that owned the shell pained over the dash and all the trim with some sort of black paint which hasnt held up well. Anyone know a way to remove the paint without damaging the pieces?

Should the parts not fit, i have an immaculate interior for an 89 supra for sale!!!!!! lol!

Thanks for the info and wish me luck.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Bolts right in. You just wont have the targa holders unless you drill holes in the plastic.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It is but the bolt holes are already existing. The lower mount on the belt part can be tricky tho as you have to mount it in a different spot.

Edit: the smaller rear speakers do not have holes or plugs.

The plus with it being a 89 tho is you dont ahve to swap columns or cut the lower dash on the drivers side as 90+ only have 2 steering wheel adjustments not like 89-.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
89 and below had memory.. So you could lift the wheel up and then it would go back down to where it was. 90+ did not have this and had the 2 piece undercover on the drivers side, so in order to use that piece you have to cut out the part for the 3rd lever or swap columns.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
hvyman;1568563 said:
89 and below had memory.. So you could lift the wheel up and then it would go back down to where it was. 90+ did not have this and had the 2 piece undercover on the drivers side, so in order to use that piece you have to cut out the part for the 3rd lever or swap columns.

as you you can tell, I have a 89+

Thank you!!!

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
To all: thanks for the input. Any ideas on removing the crappy paint over job? I wouldnt care except that the interior of mine is the typical dark/light gray.

Koenigturbo;1568544 said:
It will swap right over. now with that said, sell me the sail panels.

which are the sail panels?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
supraman88MKIII;1568784 said:
To all: thanks for the input. Any ideas on removing the crappy paint over job? I wouldnt care except that the interior of mine is the typical dark/light gray.

which are the sail panels?

Sail panels: the plastic panels that surround the side rear windows next to the rear seats. I need the inserts. I'll pm you with a picture. or it could end here if your intereior is cloth.

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
So the literally 8 block juristiction of the city im zoned for is retarded. have to rush strip the 89 in case i cant work out a deal with them. apparently its illegal to park/store a derelict vehicle in my drive way. i think they can derelick my b@11s. but on a good note the entire interior is stripped thanks to 4 hours+beer+good music. just need a few trim pieces and im golden. anyone need body panels or tail lights or trim from an 89 PM me and ill see what i can work out. must have it moved/gone by the 30th fyi.