89+ tail light center piece and trim moldings quetions.

arashi

Aug 17, 2011
AL
ok so my car is an 88 and i bought some 89+ tails and comes with the center piece with the grey molding as i asked before i wanted to know if i could use the 88 center molding on the 89+ center piece. if not then ill defiantly have to get 89+ trims.

i was also wondering did they make black 89+ trim? anyone have any? lol

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
this has been covered many times before, use the search function next time

no it wont work, the space in between the 89+ lights are different from the pre 89 lights. The only part of the middle section that would be black would be the part underneath the actual red cover and yes they make that in black ( the 89+ i picked up for my conversion is black).

to do the 89+ conversion you need to fully remove the old lights and the old center piece and install the the 89+ lights and the new center piece.you can paint the new center piece the color of your car to give the impression that you just have a89+ tail lights and not the center section

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
^ what he said. I ended doing a full 89+ conversion with some modification. Make sure you also paint the little metal strips underneath the 89+ center section for the clean look.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Anyone have any picture of a painted center section?

I always wondered what painting the whole center section including the reflector black or the color of the car would look like.

The apperence of two seprate lights make the car look more late 90's to me

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Turbo Habanero;1777900 said:
Anyone have any picture of a painted center section?

I always wondered what painting the whole center section including the reflector black or the color of the car would look like.

The appearance of two separate lights make the car look more late 90's to me

2zg6nps.jpg

yes it looks much much better. it was my initial plan to have my rear look like that(just like the OP I was under the assumption that I could remove the old lights and stick the new lights in without using the center section)

Since my car is an odd color + my other electrical issues,I didn't really delve to much deeper into it. Sticking with my 89+ conversion for now..

arashi

Aug 17, 2011
AL
actually i wasn't talking about the whole center piece....just the small grey trim on the bottom, like the trim/moulding around the car. i bought a full 89+ set. so lights and center piece. reason i asked is cause if i didn't have to replace my 88 trim then i might just see about taking the bottom trim from the 88 center piece and put it on the 89+ center piece if it was possible. if not then i will be for sure getting 89+ trim, i don't want mix match shit. ill just have to keep my eyes open i guess for 89+ trim.

also the search function seems shity to me....anytime i've ever used it it brings up either nothing, or a bunch of shit that didn't really help me.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
arashi;1778018 said:
actually i wasn't talking about the whole center piece....just the small grey trim on the bottom, like the trim/moulding around the car. i bought a full 89+ set. so lights and center piece. reason i asked is cause if i didn't have to replace my 88 trim then i might just see about taking the bottom trim from the 88 center piece and put it on the 89+ center piece if it was possible. if not then i will be for sure getting 89+ trim, i don't want mix match shit. ill just have to keep my eyes open i guess for 89+ trim.

also the search function seems shity to me....anytime i've ever used it it brings up either nothing, or a bunch of shit that didn't really help me.

If you spend enough time anything is customizable but there are no direct swaps for the 89+ conversion. If you wish to use any part of your pre 89 setup then youl have to mix and match.

The search function seems that way to you because I'm assuming you just type in the search box up the top. By default it is set to search all posts. If you click advanced search and select topic title only , you will get much more relevant results.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
aloshan;1777902 said:

The center piece on the blue car looks different from mine the plate holder looks less sunk in ?

Can anyone tell me if I'm seeing shit or not or point to a direction to find one cause I don't think mine would look as good painted as that one.