89 Steering issues!!

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
So i just got my 89 supra n/a 5-speed targa, it just developed a wobble in the steering and slightly pulls to the left and is prematurely wearing my drivers side front tire. the previous owner said les shwaub tire co. told him that it needed front control arm bushings. upon further inspection of my rack and pinion i discovered the passenger side boot is torn all the way around and its just kinda chillin there hanging meanwhile the rack is leaking large amounts of oil from where said boot used to be. i assume that there is the possibility of a bad seal in my rack and pinion causing my steering issues so that leads to my 2 questions for supramania. btw i know it sounds ridiculous but i am building this car on a budget (i've been on a craigslist vehicle trading rampage that finally lead to a supra!!)

Q1) should i repair the rack and pinion myself and just buy the replacement seal and below kit instead of spending the $300.00 for a reman rack (remember budget)

Q2) If rebuilding the rack is a plausible idea then does anyone have any tips or tricks from past experience

I would really like to keep my power steering, a bad car accident last year messed up my shoulders pretty bad and im not the mean badass i once was

p.s. thanks for the help in advance supramania!!!

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
a sticky front drivers side caliper, fixed that with new pads and a couple cans of brakekleen. my rack wasn't totally shot but the seals were and it was leaking pretty bad, i posted this thread asking for help but i got impatient and just started searching around and found out that rebuilding the rack could be done and its really not that expensive, i also have a friend who works at a hydraulic shop so i took the rack to him with the seal kit and he fixed it up for me and im back on the road! steers like a brand new car no more wobble, no more pull, oh and i forgot to say that i installed all new suspension bushings on the whole car lol and still had the problem

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Thanks for finishing the thread for the future when others possibly have the same problem.

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
i would have posted pictures but my dad took my camera for his El Camino build lol btw this website is a life saver, i will do anything i can to help