89+ Shine Auto JDM Front Lip Interest?

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
I love our front lips. Especially the JDM one with the brake vents!
( You can skip to the end if you'd like to find out what I'm really getting at!)

I've been trying to find a front lip for my 1990 for years now it seems. I haven't had any luck. Also, what I often come across is that they are either cracked, warped, a good chunk of one is missing, and simply that there are just less of them now.

The closest thing to buying a perfect factory-styled lip, that I know of, is from Japan. Made of FRP. However, the lip itself is around $260.

KMS10111130001.jpg

http://www.autostyle-usa.com/a70/KMS10111130001/

Shipping that lip alone is AT LEAST $430....
I love the factory front lip. But not enough to pay $700 for one.

All of this time of not having a lip has made me realize how big of an impact this little black body of a line has on the OVERALL appearance of the car.

For instance I took this photo of the car today:

30hmyiv.jpg

However, it isn't as striking, for me personally, as this photo of the car:

122lu37.jpg

(A crudely photoshopped thin black line for a front lip, which STILL looks better than the first photo in my opinion)

It looks and feels complete

Now, I've had a Bomex front lip on the car before, and although I think it's a great looking lip, as well as many others, it's too low (as with most aftermarket lips), and visually too front-heavy (especially if color matched)...you'd have to rock side skirts to level out its profile.. then you'd have to have rear add-ons to level those out. But by then, it all looks too bulky and what I love most about our cars is how sleek and lean they are in design from the factory

And all of these thoughts have made me wondered.."Why hasn't anyone come up with making a factory-styled lip for our cars?"
Most MK3s, it seems like, do not have their front lip anymore. Additionally, I feel that most would like to have the chance to buy one (buuuut I could be totally wrong)

And this is where Shine Auto Project comes in. They've been making aero parts for our cars for some time now:

p2056837_1.jpg

http://www.shineautoproject.com/

Lips, airguides, sideskirts, fenders...you name it. And they're great! The Bomex lip that I bought from them fit well and could really take a beating! And as some of you may know, if enough interest is generated towards making new parts for our cars, a list of at least 15 paid people (I think thats how that works), will help the process get started in the making of a mold (of a donated part from the community) and mass producing it.

Long story short, if an inexpensive (mostly not having to pay for overseas shipping), OEM-styled lip were to be produced, and of better material, would any of you be interested in buying one? I would just like to get a feel if any of this is at all realistic. Thanks!

Last edited:

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
i would love to have a oem stye "Japan spec" jza70 front lip. what would something like that cost, do you think? i know i can get a OEM ma70 front lip for about 120$ from a friend of mine that works at the toyota dealership here IIRC. its been awhile since i talked to him about prices.

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
sheedy126;2056839 said:
i know i can get a OEM ma70 front lip for about 120$ from a friend of mine that works at the toyota dealership here IIRC. its been awhile since i talked to him about prices.

What?? You can still purchase a new front lip from Toyota?? I was under the impression that theyve been discontinued.. which kind of makes this thread not that useful anymore lol!

And I'm not quite sure actually about the cost of a JDM lip (Maybe you could still get one from Toyota too?)
I guess I would have to contact Shine Auto first about making either the US or JDM spec one. But I'm thinking because it is just a front lip, it could cost somewhere around 200 to $300?

But please tell me more about having your friend order you a new front lip from Toyota!
Should I have been contacting my local Toyota dealership this whole time?

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
This was about 6 months ago when my friend told me I could still get one. I was super excited but didn't have money for It at the time. I'll have to get in contact with him and see if it's still available through him or not

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
The JZA70 lips are discontinued, I can tell you that. Not sure about USDM though.

I would be interested in picking one up if this ever comes to light. I have a mold half mocked up in my garage of a JZA70 lip and had planned to do this myself. Too many other projects and life and life in general have come up to finish it

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
I got one of the last 89+ ones from the dealer about a year ago, was like $380. Still scared to put it on lol. Tried using flexible filler primer and black bumper coating to restore my original, but the coating cracked in several places after a couple weeks :( Probably shouldn't have used the off-the-shelf stuff from the local auto parts store lol.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Yeah they're discontinued... I wish the 89+ and pre 89 lips were the same, then it would be so much easier to get enough people for one of these to happen. I may be interested, but I have the pre89 bumper, and a stock lip in good shape still so it would just be a spare essentially.

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
How much difference is between pre89 and later models, shineauto has only one style for pre89 which I don't care much about to pay $350, I wish there were more option. I really like this one

p2056983_1.jpg

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
^ Yes! I was actually going to ask as I'm considering doing this myself as an alternative!

If anyone has done a home depot lip / universal ebay lip please post up pictures too!

St!LL b0oStEd

May 9, 2011
san antonio
This was a eBay lip 30$ 98 accord lip cut to fit my mk3 , I know it ain't a legit lip . But it does the job for me and I actually like the way it looks image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
attachment.php

An Accord lip? Not bad! Your car looks great!

By the way, what is your wheel setup? I love the poke and I've also been looking for a set of wide steel wheels to throw onto the car

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
fox74;2056983 said:
How much difference is between pre89 and later models, shineauto has only one style for pre89 which I don't care much about to pay $350, I wish there were more option.

I think the general shape of the front bumper of both models is significantly different. A lip from either one onto the other would look a bit off?

But then again you can fit an Accord lip to a MK3, with some cutting apparently, and I think it looks totally fine haha!

And again, I think Shine only touches anything they know that people (at least 15 who have paid) will actually be interested in.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I think someone had good luck with some universal lip for the scion, like the height of the lip was almost identical. Also, the material was durable too. And it looks just like the OEM lip. I myself was lucky enough to still have the OEM 89+ lip on my car. It might have been a fb page post, i don't remember seeing it on SM anywhere.

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
A Scion lip? Interesting. Do you remember what model (tC, xB, etc..) this lip was made for?

And as far as cost goes, after speaking with Rodel who is very close with Shine Auto Project, an OEM styled 89+ lip for our cars would be around $250.
If anyone is truly interested, 15 people must commit to and pay for a lip. I thought it would help to see just how much interest is out there for an 89+ Shine OEM lip by starting this list. If anyone is interested please fill your name in and repost! Again, this is just to see the number of people INTERESTED IN this lip:

SHINE AUTO PROJECT 89+ OEM STYLE LIP

1. ERA